ccrbum

New To The Forum And New To Leather!

Well I guess I should give a little information on myself and my interest in getting into leatherwork. I'm a full-time firefighter-EMT and have been looking for a hobby to get into that I can enjoy, my kids can participate in and that I can always make a couple dollars on the side to help support it! I've recently come across leatherworking and looking at what all you can do with it as well as the true nature of the craft that goes into it and I'm completely sold! Being in the fire industry we love our leather! I'm also a firearms enthusiast and love the idea of being able to make some holsters. My primary interest is being able to make holsters and fire gear such as radio straps, glove holders and suspenders. Custom made gear is a huge deal to be able to give to someone as a gift. As far as what tools I need to start doing this I'm not completely sure. The wife has given her blessing for me to spend some money to get going in it and from what I understand, I'm looking at a couple hundred dollars for getting set up. Any chance some of you could help me out as far as basic and intermediate lists for making holsters? Also how is tandy as far as tooling? I understand people have some issues with their leather but I've not looked too much into their quality of tools. I've got one about 40 minutes away so it would be nice to be able to run up there and get stuff. Thanks for the input and! I'm really looking forward to what all I can learn on here and start to develop some skills in the area. Thanks guys!

First, WELCOME to the forum, best leather site on the internet IMHO and the people are great. As far as getting started, search this forum for that topic, there should be several replies. Tools needed range in a variety of prices and several will tell you to get the best you can afford right off the bat but if you are like me I cannot afford $40. plus for one stamping tool or more for a gouger or skiver or whatever. Tandy is good place to start with tools, their leather has something to be desired, again My opinion but it will depend on the manager of that store and how willing they are to help. I started leather 30+ years ago when I was a police officer in a small town and had to go a a moment notice, needed something I could drop and come back to without any problems. Now it is my business after retirement. Look forward to following your progress and seeing some of your completed projects. If you need any help just ask.

You will find nearly every bit of information you will ever need, here on the site. Folks are very willing to lend a hand whenever you need it.

Where are you located? There are, according to many folks, some good Tandy stores and some that are less than desirable and I believe it has a lot to do with management. All in all, they have most everything you need to get started.

Keep us clued in as to your projects and progress.

God Bless.

Ray

As with other traditional activities & industries leatherworking has developed its own methods & terminology which can be confusing when you first start. Plus, there seem's to be no end to the number of things you must buy!. To make sense of it, do some homework first. You will start to see how & why things are done, and get used to the jargon.

Gradually you will acquire your own methods, tools & equipment, and see where you must buy a 'proper' tool; where you can use what you already have or improvise; and what you can make yourself. This last aspect can be quite satisfying. I have made an edge slicker, a strop, and a sewing pony based on illustrations & information in websites, handbooks & catalogues.

I made a skiving knife by reshaping & sharpening an old putty or filling knife that cost 50p ( I think that's about 80 cents) from a car boot sale. They don't have to be perfect as long as they do the job and suit you.

There's a helluva lot of advice & information on this forum, just work your way through the Threads & posts. You'll probably find everything you want to know has been asked before

Similarly, there are lots of videos on YouTube; just put 'leatherwork' into the search box.

Tandy is as good a place as any for tools to start with. As you use this forum you will get to hear of other suppliers, with recommendations for & against

However, I don't think much of Tandy's 4-in-1 awl, and neither, it seems, do a lot of other people; it's also quite expensive. You're better off getting a fixed awl blade & haft. Browse through this Forum and you'll soon find other suppliers & suggestions

This company's website has some good tutorials on basic techniques http://www.bowstock.co.uk

Be prepared to make mistakes, both in the work, and in buying tools you find you don't need or like - it's all part of the fun!

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone. As far as location, I'm in northern kentucky.

Closest tandy is in ohio but there is also one down in louisville. I've been combined through the

forum here and am blown away by all information on here! Hopefully the wife and I will be able to

work out a time to make a tandy trip soon and get this started :).