Dave B

Whip leather selection

Hi,

I'm new to these forums and braiding whips. But after getting a book and doing some practice work with some leather lacing and some nylon paracord, I think I'm ready to buy some leather and get to serious work.

The book that I have, along with a bunch of web searching, describes the types of leather best for braiding whips, but in Aussie terminology. The US leather sources that I've looked into don't seem to offer things like "red tanned", etc. I see chrome tanned and vegetable oil tanned, etc offered, but which is best for whip making?

Along with the tanning processx to be used, what weight/thickness leather hide should I be buying.

Any help appreciated by this leather braiding newby.

Dave

Edited by Dave B

Kangaroo is all I've used. Thickness is fairly constant. Roo is bark tanned, usually and I'm pretty sure that's the same as veg-tanned. IMO chrome tanned leather is not a good choice. The process actually breaks down (as in destroys) cell walls, thus making the leather nice and soft, but weak.

After you've been doing your research on Roo and looking at more books on whipmaking, the terminology will be easier to understand.

There are a few top whipmakers on this forum that will be joining this thread, I'm sure. G'luck and show us all how you're progressing.

http://www.leffler.com.au/saddlery/red_greasy.htm

http://www.murphywhips.com/images/PRE14-05-1.jpg

redhide is alum tanned and has a greasy feel to it. It is similar to latigo

stock whip.jpg

post-1669-126056762853_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to these forums and braiding whips. But after getting a book and doing some practice work with some leather lacing and some nylon paracord, I think I'm ready to buy some leather and get to serious work.

The book that I have, along with a bunch of web searching, describes the types of leather best for braiding whips, but in Aussie terminology. The US leather sources that I've looked into don't seem to offer things like "red tanned", etc. I see chrome tanned and vegetable oil tanned, etc offered, but which is best for whip making?

Along with the tanning processx to be used, what weight/thickness leather hide should I be buying.

Any help appreciated by this leather braiding newby.

Dave

Dave,

It depends on the type of whip you want to make as to what type of leather you will use. If you are working on a 4 plait stock whip, then get a strip of latigo or veg-tanned cowhide in 6-7 oz. You can then bevel the edgeds and taper the strings down to their points. You can use this thickness to make a 6 plait whip if you wish. You can use the same thickness to make a serviciable American or Indy style whip of 6 plait. Adam Winrich makes a very fine whip that he calls his Indy On A Budget whip. It is cowhide and 4 plait. It is 6-7 oz cowhide I think.

If you are looking at making a finer plait 12-16-24 etc. then you will probably want to use kangaroo. 'Roo makes finer strands of stronger tensile strength, but it is not as forgiving to the novice whipmaker.

If you are really adventurous, then venture into the world of rawhide. Some mighty fine whips have been made using rawhide.

For the cowhide, stay with veg tanned or alum tanned hides. Stay away from chrome tanned or garment leather.

Good luck, and remember to "pull tight - plait loose" and keep your seams straight.

Jerry R

Check out how Terry Jacka makes his whips, just over half way down the page:

http://www.indygear....igbullwhip.html

Reading this really gave me pause about cutting up expensive roo hides for an all roo whip!

Excellent referral. It'll take a bit of digesting, but some good basic information to be gleaned.

Thanks,

Dave

Check out how Terry Jacka makes his whips, just over half way down the page:

http://www.indygear....igbullwhip.html

Reading this really gave me pause about cutting up expensive roo hides for an all roo whip!