Lobo

Another Threepersons-Style Rig

Received another request for a tooled Threepersons-style holster. This one is for a 6" Colt Python revolver in stainless steel.

8-9 oz. Hermann Oak lined with 3-4 oz. calfskin, basketweave tooling, matching lined belt at 1.75" width around the body tapered to 1" at the front for improved comfort, with matching cartridge slide. Working on a new color here that I am calling "russet". I am happy with the result, somewhere between oiled tan and brown. Mr. Customer is ecstatic, having had this classic revolver for over 20 years with no way of carrying it at the range and on camping trips.

Another interesting week here! Classic holster made for a classic revolver, happy customer, what more can I ask for?

post-7487-023971000 1282009433_thumb.jpg

post-7487-040307900 1282009739_thumb.jpg

And what would we expect from Lobo but such a fine example of leatherworking?

Good job, . . . I'd say he'll enjoy it, . . . maybe even do a bit of showboating with it. Heck, . . . I would.

Actually, . . . come to think of it, . . . the whole thing strikes me as a BBQ rig.

May God bless,

Dwight

Very nice indeed!

Can you tell me where you get the calfskin for lining? I have never done a holster with a lining but would like to try it.

Also... are you hand stitching or machine?

Great looking classic rig!

Received another request for a tooled Threepersons-style holster. This one is for a 6" Colt Python revolver in stainless steel.

8-9 oz. Hermann Oak lined with 3-4 oz. calfskin, basketweave tooling, matching lined belt at 1.75" width around the body tapered to 1" at the front for improved comfort, with matching cartridge slide. Working on a new color here that I am calling "russet". I am happy with the result, somewhere between oiled tan and brown. Mr. Customer is ecstatic, having had this classic revolver for over 20 years with no way of carrying it at the range and on camping trips.

Another interesting week here! Classic holster made for a classic revolver, happy customer, what more can I ask for?

Very nice work. What is a "Threepersons rig"?

Cheers,

Malcolm

Very nice indeed!

Can you tell me where you get the calfskin for lining? I have never done a holster with a lining but would like to try it.

Also... are you hand stitching or machine?

Great looking classic rig!

The calfskin that I am using is an upholstery hide, comes prefinished with a very soft and slick surface, just about waterproof and won't absorb much of anything. I bought a couple about a year ago from a friend who does custom car interiors. It runs about $3 per square foot.

I use a machine for stitching.

Very nice work. What is a "Threepersons rig"?

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm:

Tom Threepersons was a lawman in San Antonio and El Paso, Texas during the early 20th Century. He designed a holster for his personal use, which was made by S.D. Myres Saddlery Company, and became one of the most commonly used holster designs for law enforcement and sportsmen. I also offer this style with the original carving pattern used on Threepersons' personal holster. These remain very popular.

post-7487-079351700 1282053638_thumb.jpg

Lobo - the calf lining you mentioned is upholstery leather for car interior. I guess I made the assumption that all upholstery leather is chrome tanned, is that not the case ?

By the way... that is one flat gorgeous holster. I think you have inspired me to make one for my 6" Smith 19. Just beautiful.awesome job. thanks for sharing the pics.

Edited by mattsh