bluesman1951

Buying Leather

I have bought some where near 25,000 dollars worth of deer hide from The Hide House in California over the last year . Its always roulette at 500.00 dollars a hand when you order . You state your request clearly large hides ,good both sides ,thick hides no paper thin garbage and thats it . Every time they come the more you spend the worse the quality of the hides . I have a good reputation here and my customers expect quality stuff with out exception . These crap hides make me look bad and delay the completion of my projects . This last batch of hides they sent is total GARBAGE I am screwed and out 500.00 on this order . I have sent them a ugly letter venting my displeasure and have yet to hear back . My question is just how much money do you have to spend before you get good treatment ? Some one has too eat the crap just is not going to be me ! I tell them I have 500.00 to spend send me what I want ,never even dicker about the price just send me what I want and use the 500.00 till its gone . The shipping of these garbage hides is in my opinion is the equivalent of putting a old shoe on a plate and serving it in a fine restaurant to a long time loyal customer . How is sending these Garbage hides not a insult ? What would you do ? Frankly I am looking for another supplier . Having some nit wit in a warehouse half way across the country spend my money and shop for me seems to be a exercise in extreme stupidity . What the he.. what does it take to get some good service these days ,no amount of money seems to matter . bluesman1951

Edited by bluesman1951

I beleive i would change supplier.

Have you dealt with Spotted Pony Traders ? or Kentucky Leather & Hide..

these are fine folks they have always treated me fine.

I just dropped 5 bills at Springfield Leather for HO and have no complaints... Give them a call, tell the what your looking for and they will do their best to provide. I have no complaints to date regarding them...

DBP

X2 on Springfield Leather Co. Excellent Customer Service and good prices.

Chief

I have bought some where near 25,000 dollars worth of deer hide from The Hide House in California over the last year . Its always roulette at 500.00 dollars a hand when you order . You state your request clearly large hides ,good both sides ,thick hides no paper thin garbage and thats it . Every time they come the more you spend the worse the quality of the hides . I have a good reputation here and my customers expect quality stuff with out exception . These crap hides make me look bad and delay the completion of my projects . This last batch of hides they sent is total GARBAGE I am screwed and out 500.00 on this order . I have sent them a ugly letter venting my displeasure and have yet to hear back . My question is just how much money do you have to spend before you get good treatment ? Some one has too eat the crap just is not going to be me ! I tell them I have 500.00 to spend send me what I want ,never even dicker about the price just send me what I want and use the 500.00 till its gone . The shipping of these garbage hides is in my opinion is the equivalent of putting a old shoe on a plate and serving it in a fine restaurant to a long time loyal customer . How is sending these Garbage hides not a insult ? What would you do ? Frankly I am looking for another supplier . Having some nit wit in a warehouse half way across the country spend my money and shop for me seems to be a exercise in extreme stupidity . What the he.. what does it take to get some good service these days ,no amount of money seems to matter . bluesman1951

Don't doubt you...just wondering what you are making and selling that costs $25,000.00 in deer hide?

pete

I also have to give :thumbsup: to Springfield Leather. I certainly have not dropped $25K with them, but I have never felt like I got the shaft. I have never gotten a piece of leather from them that was even questionable. Typically, I order HO, and they always send what I'm looking for...weight, size of hide, etc., I even ordered some chap leather from them a couple times, and not only did they send what I wanted, but offered to cut it to the size I needed so I wouldn't have excess. In fact, on one chap order, I didn't communicate the size I needed correctly and they offered to take back the piece that wouldn't work even though it was my fault. Stand up outfit they are. I won't buy anywhere else.

Don't doubt you...just wondering what you are making and selling that costs $25,000.00 in deer hide?

pete

I was wondering the same thing!

This was not all at once. I make small leather pouches and fringed bags . My customers are wholesalers in Gallup new Mexico . Each one has many stores that they sell to on a global basis . The Japanese buyers are the biggest buyers of these kind of goods . Also I am in the heart of native America and they buy lots of bags . The galleries in Santa Fe also buy this kind of work . Most of the orders are between 500 and 1,000 when I buy leather . If you are interested look on Goggle for : Running Bear Trading Post , Silver Dust Trading Company , Al -Zuni Trading Company , City Electric Shoe Shop ,all from Gallup New Mexico . In Albuquerque look at Palms Trading Company . These are just a few wholesalers in this part of the world ,gives you a idea of the scale of things here .

pete

post-21599-017550200 1346420245_thumb.jp

The answer is 100's of different kinds of bags . I just finished a order for 200,of these bags for one customer and am working on a order for 500 for another customer .Bear in mind this was not all at once this money its 500.00 orders over time . Wish I could spend that kind of money all at once LOL .

I was wondering the same thing!

post-21599-061573700 1346420407_thumb.jp

I am with every one else here on the Springfield Leather Co. I am not a big spender but the Hides I got Herman Oak and horse butts were fantastic. The girls I talked to was very knowledgeable in what she is selling! Give them a call.

-Chris

I get everything from Springfield Leather. My orders have NEVER gone over $100.00 at a time but they always treat me like I'm their most important customer they have. Great products, superb customer care, why would anyone shop anywhere else? Cheryl

I would have stopped buying from them a long time ago if they have been getting worse each order. Buy from somewhere that treats its $20.00 customers the same as their $500.00 customers. Is Springfield has what you need they are your best bet. If they dont carry what you want there were 2 other suggestions near the top of this thread