5shot

Saddle Stitching Video?

I looked on Youtube, and I couldn't be more unimpressed with what I saw in regards to hand stitching leather. I could have done a better job and I use a machine 99% of the time.

I am trying to stitch a 90 deg corner for a box, but the side where the awl exits looks terrible (even though the awl exits where I have marked the leather with a stitch wheel).

Are there any good videos to be had on the net that would give me a little more instruction on hand stitching (and not have it look like it was done by a 4 year old)?

Thanks

Edited by 5shot

5shot,

Assuming that you are hand stitching this 90 corner, there are a couple of things that will improve the look of the stitching on the back side. Wetting and lightly casing the leather will help the hole to cut and swell without tearing out the back side. Also sharpen the widest edges of your diamond shaped awl from the tip to the widest point. Narrow, thin, awls work best for this kind of work. You want the awl to cut thru the leather, not tear. And make sure you are punching your holes on a diagonal, not long point to long point.

Keith

5shot,

Assuming that you are hand stitching this 90 corner, there are a couple of things that will improve the look of the stitching on the back side. Wetting and lightly casing the leather will help the hole to cut and swell without tearing out the back side. Also sharpen the widest edges of your diamond shaped awl from the tip to the widest point. Narrow, thin, awls work best for this kind of work. You want the awl to cut thru the leather, not tear. And make sure you are punching your holes on a diagonal, not long point to long point.

Keith

Yes, I am hand stitching this project. If I cut the holes at an angle, will the stitches be angled or will they still be straight? I would prefer a straight stitch for this project.

Thanks for the tips.

Sorry to be so long to reply, computer went down.

I never punch holes with a diamond awl lining up the long points. This makes the stitch much weaker, and more prone to separation. You can make very close stitches on the diagonal that are much stronger than widely spaced stitches straight. If you want the stitch to look straight and not angled, use bigger thread and smaller holes. The thread will fill up the hole entirely and look straight.

Respectfully,

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith.