sheridanman

Hemp Vs Irish Linen Threads

hi guys

i am on the look out for some nice threads for saddle stitching bags and wallets. i know some would recommend nylon threads like the popular Nyltex, but i want to know if anyone has experience with Hemp? how does hemp compare to irish linen threads in terms of durability, fraying and is beeswax applied to hemp as well? some infos would be deeply appreciated as i am looking for other alternatives besides the usual linen and nylon threads. i have heard some swear by hemp but not sure if there is some specific use only for it and not advisable on all projects. thanks!

ritch

I'm afraid that I can't help much as I use linnen thread and have done so for 18 years , I haven't had any problems or complaints so linnen for me from now until they don't supply it anymore

In my limited experience, the linen thread seems more durable and longevity seems better. I've made a few pocket items (business card holders and wallets) using hemp that I waxed myself with beeswax and the hemp has quickly become worn looking. Could be my technique or the hemp may have been of low quality (Wal Mart). YMMV

Fibre-wise hemp and linen are basically indistinguishable once they're processed. You treat them exactly the same in use.

The real trick is finding good long-staple versions of either these days, since most are processed on cotton machinery that cuts the staple down to a few inches at best. You can get old-stock hemp thread occasionally but I've found it's a bit weak (I can break 7-strand while hand sewing if I'm not careful).

Any advice on buying/using Linen thread? I've used polyester braids so far. I've seen Barbour Irish linen thread - presumably from the company that make the wax cotton shooting & biker jackets - is that good/suitable for leather? Do you just get one thin diameter & then twist your own thicker threads as needed? FYI I currently use mainly 4-6mm thick leather (8-10z?).

Edited by Tannin