Colt Hammerless

Wickett And Craig's New Mahogany Skirting

I was speaking with Matt Bressler, W&C's sales manager, at the leather trade show in Prescott, AZ this last March, and mentioned to him that I'd eventually like to switch to drum dyed leather for my holsters, belts, and mag pouches. I told him the only color missing in their line up is mahogany, which is a shame because that seems to be a very popular color for holsters (certainly is for me.) He seemed interested in the idea, and said he'd try to get a few samples made to test out. Well I was ordering a piece of skirting from him about a month ago, and he mentioned that they made a few test pieces, so he sent me a sample to try out. Here's some pics of it next to a sample of their dark brown skirting (Havana.)

P1070630_zpsac5d95cc.jpg

P1070628_zpscd9348dc.jpg

P1070627_zps3ed05d93.jpg

I haven't made anything with it yet, but hope to make a small pancake holster soon to see how it looks when oiled and finished. Matt said they've gone ahead and started a small production run of it, so it should be ready to order now. They're gearing it pretty much toward holster makers, and therefore are offering it no heavier than 8-10 oz. at the moment. Of course, they'll split it to thinner weights. Thought some of you might be interested.

Paul

That looks really nice! Pretty cool to have your idea/suggestion come to fruition!

Matt is a good guy,we buy our holster leather from him as well.

Had my up and down times with W&C, but since I have been dealing with Matt, I have nothing but good things to say.

Havana brown will be available to all as a stocking color and Ordered a side in the Mahogany. Was told 2 to 3 weeks for the order due to the wait on the Mahogany. Hoping its worth it.

Have both dyed and used the drum dyed leathers and now 90% of what I do is drum dyed.

Hi Im Joe,

Yeah it was just a passing comment at first, but he seemed really interested. We started brainstorming ideas for color, and both reached the conclusion that their burgundy bridle leather was the color range to go for. He said they're basically taking the burgundy bridle and leaving it as a skirting leather (without all the waxes and such that would go into a bridle leather) for the mahogany.

George B,

Matt emailed me just about two weeks ago now, and said the batch would be ready in about two weeks, so I think your order may be shipping soon. It's a dream of mine to have my leather drum dyed. I'll have to ease into it though, as it's quite an investment to have 4 or 5 colors on hand. I'll probably start with Havana, as dark brown has outpaced mahogany for me as of late.

Paul

Did they get the 'issues' under control? I like the look of W/C leathers, but I need a holster to firm up in the end!

I haven't had any issues with it firming up. There will be a few spots here and there that are a bit soft and won't firm up (mostly approaching the belly), but the majority of the hide firms up nicely. Certainly haven't had any more soft spots than with Hermann Oak. JLSleather, what type of issues have you had? When you've gotten leather from W&C, did you have them "holster" it for you? I've heard the temper of their non-holstered leather is softer than HO, but I've only ever gotten "holstered" from them. Actually, I think these samples are regular temper as it does seem softer (even though it's 10 oz. and the backs I get from them are 8 oz.) so it'll be interesting to see how it firms up when I wet form the holster I'm making out of it.

Maybe that's the trick.. i didn't ask for that

We buy their Holstered leather then mold it with a liquid leather firmer..

Here's the finished holster. After wet forming, it seemed the color was lighter than before, and frankly, I wasn't thrilled. But, after a coat of neetsfoot oil, it really popped. Even more so after the finish was applied.

Paul

P1070819_zpsad436507.jpg

This is just from the sample piece they sent me. I haven't actually bought any yet. This piece was 10 oz. Normally I get my skirting from them split and holstered to 8 oz.

Paul

Wow, how did you get such detailed wet molding on 10 oz? Sorry, I don't want to derail the thread but I am curious.

Very strong hands. Just kidding. I was a little surprised myself. I'm pretty sure this piece is not "holstered" and the temper is a bit softer than what I normally get from them. I actually do get a bit more detail in the holstered 8 oz.

Paul