Xantaus

How Are Attache Cases (Hard Cased Briefcases) Created

How are these hard case briefcases , such as the one here http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/church45_a/index.html constructed?

Some places seem to imply they are made of thick leather sewn together, others seem to have a wooden box which is then covered in leather, and still more seem to be leather wrapped round a steel frame. Some that I have taken apart appear to be leather backed cardboard.

Is there a best method to make these cases ( cost not being a factor) or do they all have advantages and disadvantages?

How are these hard case briefcases , such as the one here http://www.swaineade...45_a/index.html constructed?

Some places seem to imply they are made of thick leather sewn together, others seem to have a wooden box which is then covered in leather, and still more seem to be leather wrapped round a steel frame. Some that I have taken apart appear to be leather backed cardboard.

Is there a best method to make these cases ( cost not being a factor) or do they all have advantages and disadvantages?

Check out the Stohlman "The Art of Making Leather Cases" Books. You'll find info on making a hard sided brief case.

Having never made one myself, but have considered it for a project, I offer my opinions.

Fiber (paper) materials are light, but can be affected by moisture, and if kinked / creased are not readily straightened.

Thin plywood is sturdy, but has more bulk, and weight.

Metal is strong, but may warp, kink, dent depending on what thickness is used.

I have also considered a fiberglass / carbon fiber stiffener.

Doubled up leather would probably warp the most.

What I am leaning towards the most is aluminum panels TIG welded into the main shape.

The one pictured in your link most likely use a foundation board of some kind, either graphics cardboard or similar type of fiberboard/cardboard. I'm sure thicker plastic sheet is used as well for a foundation board.

As for what the best way is I'd say that would be personal preference though, by material, heavy cardboard would be easier to deal with.

The one pictured says it uses a metal frame.

A thin aluminium box does sound best, light but sturdy ( they are surprisingly heavy to carry, especially when full)

I've never worked with a metal frame, how well does glue take to it?

Is there a particular "The Art of Making Leather Cases" book I should pick up that focuses on these hard sided cases? They usually seem to be forgotten or very briefly discussed in books.

Thanks for all the responses

The one pictured says it uses a metal frame.

A thin aluminium box does sound best, light but sturdy ( they are surprisingly heavy to carry, especially when full)

I've never worked with a metal frame, how well does glue take to it?

Is there a particular "The Art of Making Leather Cases" book I should pick up that focuses on these hard sided cases? They usually seem to be forgotten or very briefly discussed in books.

Thanks for all the responses

"The Art of Making Leather Cases" III is the one you should look at. The instructions are very in depth. Although a lot of the projects in these books are quite dated, the techniques used are still sound.

You need to get all three, as techniques in previous volumes are used in later projects with just a note to check volume X.

I get a lot of this type stuff in our shop, brief cases; hat boxes; suit cases and guncases, the main ingredient is cardboard. Leather is impractical for these items, it won't hold it's shape and is way too heavy. I've had some items that were plywood, but its harder to work with and it breaks, the cardboard is more forgiving in working and in use. I don't know how they mold it into different shapes, but it lasts a long time. Some of the stuff I see is probably close to a hundred years old. One customer wears boots that are seventy years old and has a bunch of suitcases I've patched the corners on and replaced the leather "hinges" on the back.

Kevin

I'm actually taking a class in making hard cases right now and the stiffener of choice seems to be chipboard. It comes in several thicknesses and feels like carton but it's actually wood. The heavier chipboard will work for a briefcase. Now, I do have to say I HATE working with it, as it breaks easily when applying rivets, locks, and such. Perhaps the chipboard at the school is the cheapest version and there is a better one, otherwise I do not see myself using it again.

it might be a bit late to post this, but I am making one as well. I found that Michaels art supply or most other craft shops carry 1/8" plywood 12"x24". I'm personally using this as my base. And Stohlman's books on cases are very useful. Did you ever make one? How did it turn out?