cantankerously

What Kind Of Material Do You Use For Templates?

Hello Cantankerously, and welcome to the forum!

When I am making a prototype of something, I usually make the template out of thick paper. I often end up using junk mail cardstock flyers for this if they are big enough. Once I have made the item and I'm sure about the dimensions and I know I will make future versions of it, I make a template out of plastic. I get a thin clear plastic sheet from the craft store. I find it in the sewing section at Hobbly Lobby and I think it's used to make templates for quilters. I have also used thin cardboard for this too, and I've seen people use the brown paper that sides of leather come wrapped in (think brown butcher's paper) for making templates for big parts like saddle fenders.

Bob

I too use a thick brown paper. It comes on a roll and you can get it at Lowes. Contractors use it to cover New hardwood flooring once installed, but it works great for making templates. I also make them out of poster board. I get that from Hobby Lobby. This week they have them on sale 4 for $1.00 and I usually get about $3 or $4 worth.

What he is using in the video I have not idea but it is nice and thick, I would love to try that.

The two types I use, . . . manila file folders, . . . usually 100 of them at discount office supply stores for 5 bucks or so.

Found box of legal size last year for I think 4 bucks, . . . still using them.

My permanent, . . . "do not change this ever" patterns and templates are cut from Tandy's bag stiffener. Not that expensive, . . . and really wonderful medium to work with if you need some strength and durability.

The material he used in the video would be similar to the bag stiffener.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

A product I have found that is near perfect for your permanent patterns is the sheet PVC that is used by custom sign making companies. (it's the same stuff the "no trespassing", "for sale" signs are made of that you find in hardware and other stores.) It's pure blank white, you can write or draw on it (and erase), tough enough to last forever, and thin enough to cut easily with scissors or a # 11 Exacto blade. It comes from their suppliers in 4'X 8'sheets, and is not overly expensive.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

A product I have found that is near perfect for your permanent patterns is the sheet PVC that is used by custom sign making companies. (it's the same stuff the "no trespassing", "for sale" signs are made of that you find in hardware and other stores.) It's pure blank white, you can write or draw on it (and erase), tough enough to last forever, and thin enough to cut easily with scissors or a # 11 Exacto blade. It comes from their suppliers in 4'X 8'sheets, and is not overly expensive.

Paul

You wouldn't by any chance know what these sheets are called? I tried Google but I am coming up empty, but I think that's because I am not using the correct term.

Thanks,

Karina

http://www.bestblanks.com/signsubstrates.html?gclid=CMWd4cnFyrgCFWYV7AodJAsAWQ

THey are called PVC sign blanks. That seems like a sorta decent store, but you will probably have better luck someplace local.

He's using mat board from what I can tell in the video. It's readily available at art supply or framing shops. It can be a bit of a pain to cut, especially tight curves, but that works to your benfit as a pattern. Most thinner materials used for patterns are only good for marking around with a pen or pencil then cutting the line. This stuff you can follow with your knife.

I buy a lot of templates or have them made for me by Black River Laser, however, when I do make one of my own I use:

Temporary Patterns: Poster Board (Walmart or Dollar Store)

Permanent Patterns: I go to Lowes or Home Depot and try to find smooth vinal floor covering (the cheap stuff with no padding), I can buy one yard for less than $10.00 and it is normally about 12 Ft long. That gives me 36 sq ft for a very reasonable price, it is very pliant, but stiff enough to cut around and holds up for a long time.

Chief

I can't remember exactly what it's called. High-impact polystyrene or high density polyethylene. I get it from a local plastics store and it comes in large sheets (16 square feet I think?). It's exactly the kind of thing you need. It's stiff, but easy to cut. At the right thickness, it won't bend too much and I use it for all of my patterns large or small.

My prototypes for small items (wallets, coin holders, and such.) are all originally cut from canvas paper. I buy books of it in the painting section of an art supply store, its thick durable, and the scratch awl takes well to the edge of it. its also cheap and easy to store and comes in several different sizes, the only thing i havent used it for is painting. When i buy a book of it i grid it out with a pinstripers grid 1"x1" squares and anytime i come up with an idea i can jump right into templates with a pen.

I use the pallet covers that feed stores use to cover the top of pallet of feed. They are a little less in thickness then a cereal box, come in 4' x 4' sheets and best all...are FREE. Just hit up your local Tractor Supply Co. Or other feed store and I'm sure they will set you up.

Most small to medium things I use manila folders. For larger sized items I move up to the poster board.

I use the pallet covers that feed stores use to cover the top of pallet of feed. They are a little less in thickness then a cereal box, come in 4' x 4' sheets and best all...are FREE. Just hit up your local Tractor Supply Co. Or other feed store and I'm sure they will set you up.

facepalm*** ive been looking for a new template material for a month now... I work in a factory, these cardboard "covers" are called slip sheets, we use them to layer pet food pallets (Like you said) and not once did i think of using those until you posted while i was at work. luckily im still subscribed to this thread and it e-mailed the post to me. Keep an eye out for the ridged plastic ones that some companys use. if you could get a couple of those they would last forever

We use heavy card stock to develop a pattern.After we make a prototype and it is tweaked I will use ABS plastic.We purchase 4x8 sheets of this material and it works very well.If the pattern is something that we will mass produce we will have a clicker die made so that we do not have to cut the item by hand..

For the first working templates I use old cereal boxes. Since most of what I have done so far has been custom each piece I havent yet had to make a permanent repeatable template..When I do I think I will first try the plastic sign blanks or the bag stiffeners.

And ya thanks for all the shared experience.

We start off with paper templates, then when it's time for something more permanent, we take those paper templates to a local acrylic supplier and have them cut them out for us in acrylic. They usually can do squared shapes but not curves (they use a table saw to cut) so we then get the curves done with a laser cutter.

We used to use hardboard from a hardware store - but every now and then we'd take slices out of it when not being careful enough with the knife blade cutting around it - so we switched to acrylic. I can't tell you how much more I love it - because it's transparent I can get a better sense of placement in terms of the grain and any other markings on the hide.

I use vinyl floor covering. It is cheap and incredibly strong. Thick enough to cut round and handles much like leather. You can even use it to make up prototypes. It cuts with any knife too!