WaG35

New Holster off the bench

Well, I posted a question about how to do a pancake holster of the flat back variety and here is my attempt at it. I used a little different method than what Boomstik suggested, but it seemed to have worked out ok. The fit is nice and tight and for the most part I am pretty happy with it. It is finished with Fiebings Black Professional oil Dye and 2 coats of leather balm with atom wax. As with the previous holsters that I have made, there are a few things that I will do differently on the next one, but for s few as I have done, I am pretty happy with it. I just hope the dye doesn't bleed onto my pant the first time I wear it. This was all wet molded by hand, no press. The first photo is the front, the secondis the back and the third is the end profile from the muzzle end to show the flat back. NExt I am going to try a matching mag/cuff case.

Black_Front.JPG

black__back.JPG

black_profile.JPG

post-5623-1202277627_thumb.jpg

post-5623-1202277648_thumb.jpg

post-5623-1202277670_thumb.jpg

Edited by WaG35

Cool. :thumbsup:

How does it carry? Also, let us know how you ended up with the right pattern. I'm always interested in how other people do things.

Thanks Boomstick. The pattern started out as one that I already had. I used the pattern for the back piece as is. The front was a little tricky. I traced part of the back pattern and then added quite a bit to it where I figured I would need it. Then I molded just the front piece over the gun To just a rough shape and trimmed until I was happy with it. Then I glued and stitchched the two halves together. The I completed the final detail molding and added a stitch line on both sides of the gun. When I stitched it initially I kind of left it loose knowing that I would be adding stitching to tighten the fit. Also it has a retention strap so it didn't need to be as tight as it would have without. It feels realy good on. It rides high which I intended, I wanted it to conceal well. Which it does. Somehow I got the flaps at just the right angle to fit around my body curve. I have absolutlely no idea how that happened though. It just turned out that way. The one thing I noticed with this type of holster, is even without a reinforcing strip around the mouth, it doesn't want to collapse at all. I think if I did it again, I would add something to the thumb break to stiffen it.

Edited by WaG35

I iike it, well done from the standpoint of having an idea in mind and then doing it, thats how the seeds of inovation are planted, who knows maybe you will be the maker everyone copies one of these days.

conlinedraw.jpg

post-4868-1202306636_thumb.jpg

thanks Jordan. That picture was kind of put me on this track in the first place. I am sure that someone smarter than me could have figured out another way to do this, but it turned out for the most part the way that I wanted. If I was ever going to sell something like this, I might put some effort into an easier way to do most of the stitching before I molded it. But for now I got it done and learned some more so I am happy. I am moving onto accesories before another holster design. Kudos from you guys means a lot, as I admire your work everytime you post it. Thanks.

That's a real nice looking holster. What weight leather

did you use?

Randy

It was made from 7/8 and thanks.

Wag, Just curious, Did it need two coats of the Black? Did you dip or brush on the dye? Looks good! Thanks

That is just one coat brushed on with a foam brush. I probably could have done a second coat just to even it out. But it turned ok for my first time. I picked black specifically because I figured it would be hard to screw up. That thing sucked up the dye like nothing I have ever seen.