Sign in to follow this  
TXJhawk

Newbie Questions

I have been looking for a while and found many answers already. Now is time to post a few questions of my own. Im new to leather working and learning much by trial an error (lots of errors). I'm now making primarily holsters and belts for guys at work. So far pretty pleased with my results but now that I am going to charge for some of my items I am expecting more out of myself. I'm getting ready to place an order from Hearman Oak and I'm excited to work with something other than Tandy products. Also just purchased a Boss and I will have it in two weeks. So my questions are as follows.

1. What weight should I order from Herman Oak?

2. Im expecting to get 8-9 oz and if that is the case should I line my belts with two layers of heavy weight or line with a lower weight?

3. What is the best way to finish without having dye come off on your clothes. I have tried Resoline but not too crazy about the high gloss. Also tried he Tan coat but still getting some bleeding from the belt.

4. Should I apply conditioner before or after the sealer?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I will have more to follow.

I have been looking for a while and found many answers already. Now is time to post a few questions of my own. Im new to leather working and learning much by trial an error (lots of errors). I'm now making primarily holsters and belts for guys at work. So far pretty pleased with my results but now that I am going to charge for some of my items I am expecting more out of myself. I'm getting ready to place an order from Hearman Oak and I'm excited to work with something other than Tandy products. Also just purchased a Boss and I will have it in two weeks. So my questions are as follows.

1. What weight should I order from Herman Oak?

2. Im expecting to get 8-9 oz and if that is the case should I line my belts with two layers of heavy weight or line with a lower weight?

3. What is the best way to finish without having dye come off on your clothes. I have tried Resoline but not too crazy about the high gloss. Also tried he Tan coat but still getting some bleeding from the belt.

4. Should I apply conditioner before or after the sealer?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I will have more to follow.

1: For holsters and belts I use 8/9 Hermann Oak

2: Depends on the belt. If its just a belt to hold up your pants than line with lesser weight or use two pieces of 4/5. If its a gun belt that needs to stay stiff and support guns and other tools of the trade then two sides of 8/9 works really well.

3: Let your dye dry 24 hours then Buff, buff buff and then Buff again. Keep buffing until there is no more dye rub off. If you are doing black search for Vinegaroon. Its better than dye and doesnt rub off.

4: Before sealer. I apply it before I dye. It makes the dye sink in better.

Hope that helps. I have a Boss. You are going to love it. Remember that the first 2 days you will want to throw it out until you get the tensions figured out. Then its heaven

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for help. What sealer do you prefer? Also do you find it worth the extra money to buy the higher grade Herman Oak? I think I'm just going to start with two sides so the cost difference isn't too much.

For that last question...For belts, yes, it's worth the extra money to get the better leather. For holsters, at least for the first 50 or so, you won't recognize much profit if you're using the more expensive leather. There is a learning curve while you learn how to work WITH the leather, and small errors can (and often do) result in lots of things in the scrap bin....i.e. If you measure the stitch line totally wrong and can't even get the leather to stretch enough. I'm not saying get the cheapest stuff you can find, though. While you're working through the 'trial and error' stage, order, use, and experiment with 'good' quality leather. Once you've got your patterns worked out, THEN start making product with the HO.