builderofstuff

Diy Slot Cutter

I just wanted to see if I could do it, so I tried making a quickie test slot cutter. I just took a piece of steel tubing, stuck it in my lathe and put a tapered edge on it. While it was spinning in the lathe I used a hard Arkansas stone to put an edge on it and then stropped it while it was spinning. Then I started to smash the end down with my arbor press, once it got to a point where it was wide enough I put a small piece of 1/8" steel inside of it and finished smashing it down. It actually worked pretty well.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

post-15942-074858500 1281028478_thumb.jp

post-15942-088295500 1281028512_thumb.jp

Good thought and money saver Chris.

Another handy item that you can make with one extra step is a radius cutter. Do the same thing, but instead of smashing it, use a metal saw or die grinder to cut 1/2 the sharp end off at an angle. Makes cutting rounded strap ends a snap. Making the cut at an angle instead of a notch out will increase the strength.

I'm getting ready to make 2 variations to speed up the cutting (and accuracy) of the concho/strap holders for my custom motorcycle side covers.

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate the info.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

Everytime I see a new post from you, I have to click and see what creative gadget you came up with this time. Great job!

What kind of tubing did you use? It looks like conduit.

Everytime I see a new post from you, I have to click and see what creative gadget you came up with this time. Great job!

What kind of tubing did you use? It looks like conduit.

hahaha Not sure what kind of tubing that was. All I know is it's steel. I also made a simple clicker die from a piece of bandsaw blade today. hahaha It wasn't good for more than a couple tests, but I wanted to see if it would work. I was surprised that it did.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

hahaha Not sure what kind of tubing that was. All I know is it's steel. I also made a simple clicker die from a piece of bandsaw blade today. hahaha It wasn't good for more than a couple tests, but I wanted to see if it would work. I was surprised that it did.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

I,ve got a piece of plexiglass or acrylicwas gonna use for a pastry rolling pin but would give up half for a splitter/beveler,fact is I got 2 -14 " pieces,2.5 inch dia.let me know if you wanna do some trading.I,m in N.E.Okla,Edward

I,ve got a piece of plexiglass or acrylicwas gonna use for a pastry rolling pin but would give up half for a splitter/beveler,fact is I got 2 -14 " pieces,2.5 inch dia.let me know if you wanna do some trading.I,m in N.E.Okla,Edward

I appreciate the offer but I don't have any use for round acrylic at the moment. You can definately machine some cool parts from it, but I really can't think of anything I'd use it for. The only acrylic I've used in the last couple of years was the rectangle pieces that I make harmonica combs from. But I do appreciate the offer.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com