mnbob

Looking For 4-5 Oz Strip Leather For "holding Strap"

Hi, Where's a good source for leather strip, like the one pictured? I think it's 4-5 oz (measures about .100" thick) and is about 3/8" wide. Each strip is about 8" total length. The strip is used to make a "Holding Strap" for a pen. I need 550 of them. The local Tandy store has hides that I would cut but I'm worried about getting consistent dimensioned strips and I would have to buy the strip cutter. I primarily work in metal, so leather is a little outside my area of expertise. Maybe even someone here can make the complete "Holding Strap"? I know this is my first post here, but I'd thought I'd jump right in. I can give contact info. Thanks.

gm3_960x649.png

Getting straps cut right isn't that hard with a good sharp cutter.

If you do sheet metal work, toss the hide on a shear ;)

Getting straps cut right isn't that hard with a good sharp cutter.

If you do sheet metal work, toss the hide on a shear ;)

No shear. Recommend a good cutter? Better source for leather and tools? Tandy seems pricey and their tools seem sub-par.

Edited by mnbob

What you're looking for might be closer to 6-7oz. Most charts put 6oz at 0.094" and 7oz at 0.109". 4-5oz is listed as approximately 0.063"-0.078".

I recently saw a supplier advertising custom strap cutting services on their website, but I don't remember which one it was.

Sign up at your Tandy store as a manufacturer/reseller, assuming you are a business. Then you will receive wholesale prices. Buy the strap cutter, not expensive, and much cheaper than having someone do it for you.

Cya!

Bob