1911 Jerry

Tension Not Just Nerves

I have a heck of a time adjusting the tension, both bobbin and top threads.

Sometimes I even get loops on top of the belt.

It seems that every time I change thread colors I have to start the adjustment all over again.

Is there a book out there anywhere addressing leather machine sewing?

What kind of machine do you have? That will help us help you. As far as I know there is no book but Ill bet someone here knows how to help.

The machine is a Cowboy 3500 using #277 thread and #25 needle.

I can't just put a new color thread and take right off . I always have to play with till if will sew right.

Jerry, I have noticed lately that some of the bonded nylon thread (207) I get seems a little stiff and tries to bind coming through the secondary tension on my Artisan 4000, and also on my new Cobra 4. This happens primarily with Black and to a lesser degree with the darker Browns. This will have an effect on the tension. I never had the problem with Rice Thread when they were still in business. I'm thinking it has to do with the bonding agent used on the thread, but that's just conjecture on my part.

I'm not even close to an expert on threads, in fact it would be stretching a point to even say I qualify as a novice so I would appreciate some information from those more knowledgable as well.

Is it possible to even find non bonded nylon or poly thread and if so will it do pretty much the same job as the bonded goods with regard to tensile strength and fraying etc.? It seems the Rice thread with which I had no problems regardless of color was much softer than the currently available threads and it was marked bonded as well. Also on the machines mentioned, would left or right twist be a factor at all. (None of my threads are marked with either left or right, by the way)

Wish I could be of more help, but sounds like at least two of us have noticed a problem.

Paul