esantoro

cleaning brass hardware

Does anyone have a surefire method for cleaning brass that has become tarnished? I've got some brass hardware that had been lying underneath some latigo and has become prematurely tarnished, perhaps due to the oils in the leather.

Thanks,

Ed

i use flitz.

ive also used Brasso at one time. there are others too.

Brasso, standard for military brass when I was in, a real pita lots of rubbing, I think it was psych warfare used to break a new recruit and get a good laugh.

Brasso, standard for military brass when I was in, a real pita lots of rubbing, I think it was psych warfare used to break a new recruit and get a good laugh.

Meh. It's not that big a deal once you get the lacquer off. I had to rub the feathers off an eagle on my hat brass when I was a freshman in military college.

I like 'Never Dull' Less messy than most brass cleaners and doesn't leave a residue in the recesses

Thanks for the responses. I'll try the Never Dull. I like when brass tarnishes in a normal way, oxidation, but due this brass being underneath some leather for some time, the tarnish on it is not an elegant time-worn tarnish. It's just black.

Ed

Wenell & Friltz is the same thing, both are very good.

Brasso, all it is is bleach, it takes the color out but doesn't actual take the oils off the brass, that's why it is quick, but tarnish comes back rather fast.

After you polish real well, wax it with a carnauba car wax. This will keep the moisture from the air & oils from your hands off it for aprox a year.

This is a quote I use to have printed on my busniness cards when I had a brass shop, it works!

Kathy

I use a dremel with one of those felt wheels and some metal polish or rouge. If it's really nasty you can start with a Scotchbrite pad to get the rough stuff off. They also make wheels and such with Scotchbrite material for a dremel or drill.

I cut up a bunch of old halters to salvage the hardware and cleaned the brass this way. Works real good and pretty fast. But it is messy so don't do it at the kitchen table...least not if the wife is watching.

Add my vote for Never-Dull. It's what we used on my ship, worked well.

How long does one 5 ounce can of Never Dull last? 10-15 12-sq. inch applications? Does it store well?

I'm asking because I found a good online source if buying in quantity.

Ed

I've had the same can for about 8 years now, don't use it much, but it's still kicking.

I've had the same can for about 8 years now, don't use it much, but it's still kicking.

Thanks, Tim. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Ed

Glad I could help.

I've ordered Nevr-Dull in bulk so save on cost and shipping. If anyone wants a can, I can sell a can for $5 plus actual shipping.

Ed

This Nevr-Dull is working out very well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Because I couldn't find any locally, I had to buy online in bulk, so if anyone needs a can or two I have about six I can spare.

Ed

This Nevr-Dull is working out very well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Because I couldn't find any locally, I had to buy online in bulk, so if anyone needs a can or two I have about six I can spare.

Ed

Really? I think I bought mine at Walmart; it was with the other metal polishes, like for silver or copper.

I am reloading ammo for my guns and I clean my tarnished brass cartridges in a mixture of 1 litre of boiling water, 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar and a few drops of dish cleaner, put the cartridge cases into the mixture ( hot) and in a minute miracles have happened, brass shining bright like new, no elbow grease involved ! :whatdoyouthink:

Does anyone have a surefire method for cleaning brass that has become tarnished? I've got some brass hardware that had been lying underneath some latigo and has become prematurely tarnished, perhaps due to the oils in the leather.

Thanks,

Ed

If you have a rock tumbler (either rotary or vibrating) throw in crushed walnut shells (available at pet stores) along with your brass & let tumble for several days. Will come out a nice satin finish. I bought a bunch of solid brass snaps (rough castings) & they came out with a satin polish.

russ

Wenell & Friltz is the same thing, both are very good.

Brasso, all it is is bleach, it takes the color out but doesn't actual take the oils off the brass, that's why it is quick, but tarnish comes back rather fast.

After you polish real well, wax it with a carnauba car wax. This will keep the moisture from the air & oils from your hands off it for aprox a year.

This is a quote I use to have printed on my busniness cards when I had a brass shop, it works!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy I've just started making some things out of copper and didn't like the idea of lacquer to keep it from tarnishing.

If you have a rock tumbler (either rotary or vibrating) throw in crushed walnut shells (available at pet stores) along with your brass & let tumble for several days. Will come out a nice satin finish. I bought a bunch of solid brass snaps (rough castings) & they came out with a satin polish.

russ

This is a cool idea. Thanks.

Will this satiny finish be permanent, or will the brass tarnish just as quickly as brass that has not been tumbled?

The Nevr-Dull is still necessary for cleaning up brass hardware that has already been stitched or riveted to leather items.

ed

This is a cool idea. Thanks.

Will this satiny finish be permanent, or will the brass tarnish just as quickly as brass that has not been tumbled?

The Nevr-Dull is still necessary for cleaning up brass hardware that has already been stitched or riveted to leather items.

ed

Ed, brass being brass, it will tarnish again, over time. A dip in lacquer or a light spray will probably hold off on darkening for a while. I would tell the buyer that this is solid brass & will tarnish, so use either brasso or Never Dull when it starts to turn.

russ

Ed, brass being brass, it will tarnish again, over time. A dip in lacquer or a light spray will probably hold off on darkening for a while. I would tell the buyer that this is solid brass & will tarnish, so use either brasso or Never Dull when it starts to turn.

russ

the cheapest mixture i found was hot water n a strong vingar mixture it takes some rubing but works great plus no mess on saddle skirts or rigging just wash off when done with clean water

another thing i found works great is tooth paste, a little messy but cheap n smells great lol

Edited by kfiretwo