VanPutter

Edge Finishing Soft Leather

Apologies all if this has been covered already, but I was wondering whether anyone has experience finishing soft edges? I have some 2mm tumbled calf, which I would like to burnish/finish properly. Clearly traditional methods are failing me (specifically the Japanese method of sealing with Funori, and the gum trag/burnishing method). Has anyone done this? I am looking for a firmer and shiny edge without any visible fibre structure. Maybe glazing?

Thanks!

I believe you are talking about chrome tanned leather which will not burnish worth a darn. I'm sure more help will post here soon.

Thanks. I thought as much. I got some way with wax and a very high speed burnish, but it isn't taking!

It's difficult or impossible to burnish edges with soft temper and open grain like that for at least two reasons. First, the grain will never compress enough to allow it to be sanded smooth. Second, the stretch will cause any burnishing you do achieve to open back up, causing it lose its uniform look by turning white in spots where the finish has broken up.

I'd use a flexible edge paint like the Italian stuff Campbell Randall sells. It's thin, flows nicely, is mixable, and is easy to apply by hand even on thin edges with one of those Tandy machined brass edge paint rollers.

For chrome tanned leathers you are basically left with either painting the edges (and then possibly sealing with heated edge creaser) or folding the edges over.

Andrew

Thanks Nuttish and Andrew, I appreciate your comments. I just hate paint, but it may be the only solution. I will give it a go!

You van use the Giardini max edge paint http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/ That's an Italian professional edge paint system same as used by famous European bag makers like Hermes etc. You can get a free sample from them only paying for the postage. I have tried it out now and I am really satisfied with the result and all the mechanical stress this paint can withstand. For use on every leather regardless of type. Comes in a lot of colors /effects and the best thing; you can buy the amount you want. From 250 Ml and up.

Check it out.

Tor