mworthan

Fork Cover Welt Opinions

Merry Christmas all...

Generally speaking, how many of you hand stitch vs machine stitch your welts on the fork cover? and...

How much folded welt do you leave, on average, beyond the pinched line that you stitch to along the seam (1/8"... 3/16???).

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I use one piece welts rather than folded welts, and I hand sew them. Typically, when I trim the fork cover after fitting, I trim out 1/4" beyond the pinched line. JW

Mike, I use one piece welts rather than folded welts, and I hand sew them. Typically, when I trim the fork cover after fitting, I trim out 1/4" beyond the pinched line. JW

Thanks for the response. I went to your website and took a look at what you are doing. Very nice, very clean work. I like the laced fork seams as well.

A few questions if that's okay...

1. On the one piece welt, what weight leather do you use?

2. You trim out 1/4" beyond the pinched line. Do you then hammer flat to fill in the thread showing?

3. On the laced seams I see things going like this...

A. Trim to the pinched line.

B. Whip stitch the two lines together.

C. Punch and lace the two pieces starting from the top of the cover.

D. Install the cover final.

Am I close?

4. Why do you prefer one piece vs. folded welts? I know the folded welts aren't easy to get flat (at least not for me).

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mworthan

Thanks for the response. I went to your website and took a look at what you are doing. Very nice, very clean work. I like the laced fork seams as well. Thank You

A few questions if that's okay...

1. On the one piece welt, what weight leather do you use? Heavy as I can .....15- 16 oz.

2. You trim out 1/4" beyond the pinched line. Do you then hammer flat to fill in the thread showing? Once the welt is sewn in, then I trim off the backside as close to the stitch line as possible. Then I put the cover on the tree, trim the excess off of the exterior of the welt, and tap it lightly, and rub it down.

3. On the laced seams I see things going like this...

A. Trim to the pinched line.

B. Whip stitch the two lines together.

C. Punch and lace the two pieces starting from the top of the cover.

D. Install the cover final.

Am I close? You are close. I don't pinch a line for braided seams. I draw the line I desire on the tree, and fit the cover and seam to that line. Tacked in place, I mark my locations for the holes. Off the tree, I punch the holes, then cross stitch the seams, then braid it, and install final.

4. Why do you prefer one piece vs. folded welts? I know the folded welts aren't easy to get flat (at least not for me). For me, I have better luck getting the welts straight on the line I desire with one piece welts.

Thanks,

Mike

You're welcome, hope this is helpful. JW

You're welcome, hope this is helpful. JW

It does help. I think I'll give the one piece welts a try. I have noticed it being a little tougher to keep the folded welt seam from "waving off" one way or another when unfolding, plus I like the fact that you trim it off where it needs to be when finished instead of being precise in lining up the folded welt and making sure there is enough hanging out the seam to mash down (and they don't mash down all that easy) and cover the stitches so they don't show.

What do you use to trim it off on the outside?

JW, Another good tool to trim the excess single welt is a large round bottom edger.

Mike,

Like JW, I prefer a heavy single welt and I do use a large round bottom edger like Bruce. I found the large bottom edger to be nicer/easier to use on the welt over the french edger.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

I've never put in a welt so I was intrigued by this post. I have a question as well. When you first put on the cover do you mark on both sides where you want the welt or rather just one side then transfer it to the other side by folding in half?