Colt W Knight

Leather Tooling Table Questions?

I would like to build myself a leather tooling table. I am interested in creating a tooling station that is as "silent" as can be expected while tooling leather. I have tested various tables, counter, cushions, anvils, and pads, so I know I can deaden a lot of sound just by making a table specifically for leather tooling.

Do any of you all have any tips or suggestions?

I was thinking about making a thick solid wood top with stout legs. Adding some vibration deadening mat to the underside of the table. What would be the best material to place between the table top and the granite tooling slab?

A solid core door makes a great table top. Stout legs with carpet scraps under the legs will help with the noise.

A poundo pad. they work well.

As a 'silent' tooling station, which btw, is a great idea, heavy steel is the way to go. Truck tire rim for base, ~ 10" pipe for single upright, heavy steel top, rubber floor mat pad, then marble ( I have a cemetary grave stone, plain rectangular shape) and then an angle iron reinforced plywood larger flush work surface. When I am tooling geometrics with a 3# rawhide maul, it makes a muted tunk, tunk. Beveling, etc w/ 1 1/2# maul, real muted tink, tink. I also use it (w/ poly punch board) for heavy punching of shapes which makes a little noise but not problematic) PS, I have a sound and smell sensitive wife which makes for some 'issues' sometimes; ie the choice between ventilation and warmth in the winter that comes with extensive use of Barges.