steelhawk

Vinegaroon Question. Can't Wetform Holster

I made some vinegaroon that works like I thought it should. Leather is very black. I made a holster and used the vinegaroon on each piece first. Now that it is sewn together and I got ready to wetform it, I had some problems.

First, the leather would not absorb water properly. Second, I can't do any kind of forming on the holster. Is this because I used the vinegaroon first? I made a holster with this same leather last year using Fiebings dye and it formed quite nicely, but rubbed off on my pants, so I wanted to use the vinegaroon.

Edited by steelhawk

Vinagaroon does impede the absorbtion of moisture but you can form holsters after vg you just have to soak it longer. For example on a holster made of natural veg tan 7/8 OZ I submerge it for about 5 seconds. If it has been vinagarooned I needed to dunk it for around 45 seconds or so and then wait for the surface moisture to be absorbed. I found it was much easier to mold the holster force dry it at 120degrees for about twenty minutes so it is firm but still has moisture then dunk it in the vinegaroon for about twenty seconds and let air dry. YMMV but that worked for me when I was using VG. I went to Hermann Oak black strap sides and haven't looked back.

I made some vinegaroon that works like I thought it should. Leather is very black. I made a holster and used the vinegaroon on each piece first. Now that it is sewn together and I got ready to wetform it, I had some problems.

First, the leather would not absorb water properly. Second, I can't do any kind of forming on the holster. Is this because I used the vinegaroon first? I made a holster with this same leather last year using Fiebings dye and it formed quite nicely, but rubbed off on my pants, so I wanted to use the vinegaroon.

Vinegaroon pushes the tallows and oils in the leather to the surface, making it somewhat water resistant, and it also makes it somewhat dry so I can definitely see it being difficult to mold. When I vinegaroon knife sheaths I always do my molding first.

~Noah

I do all the molding before vinegaroon too. I've also experimented a bit with 'brushing' the vinegaroon on instead of dunking.

Unless you have some metal hardware in the holster go ahead and stitch it like you normally would, vinegaroon it, give it a baking soda quick wash if you do that then set it aside for a while to start drying.

Once it gets some what less wet start your gun in it and get the basic shape going, then let it dry some more. It takes a little longer since it is thoroughly soaked usually. Wait till it gets pretty close to just damp and do your forming and it should form very well. I have done this before and it works for me. I have also carved and stamped it after vinegaroon but I just usually dont let it dry out first.

Or do as suggested and brush it on afterwards, this works pretty good. Another thing I have noticed is if you do let it dry completely just wet from the flesh side and the leather will absorb the water quicker. Let it sit for a while to dispurse thruout then start your forming.

ChuckBarrows is the one if you try pming him he may help ya out. He has many many years experience with vinegaroon.

Thanks for the replies. I will need to make another one and vinegaroon it last, as I was going to use this one as a demo holster to try and sell some. It still will be a good holster, but isn't anything spectacular since I wasn't able to do any detailed boning.

My vinageroon makes my leather look more like dark grey, almost a bluish tint to it.....but it's not black black.....any help??

Rayban, did you remember the little part about oiling it afterward? My 'roon turns a dark gray too, but after a generous rubbing with Aussie, it turns a deep lustrous black.

Rayban, did you remember the little part about oiling it afterward? My 'roon turns a dark gray too, but after a generous rubbing with Aussie, it turns a deep lustrous black.

Yep, I applied my regular finishing oil, and it did turn darker, but still not black black.....

Rayban I have noticed it depends on the leather also. This was talked about in alot more detail in some other threads on it but basically it will vary depending on the amount of tannings in the leather.

My tandy leather doesnt usually take it very well but my herman oak will darken even without oil to a nice black.

Couple of things, make a really strong tea, coffee, walnut shell, various bark, ....... brew. If you give the leather a dip in this first then vinegaroon it, this will help with it taking the black. Also when your done with the vinegaroon I take mine straight to a bath of baking soda dissolved in warm water. The baking soda will make it more black after the rinse. Dont leave it in to long, I just do a few seconds becuase it can cause the leather to go to basic. Then I give it a rinse.

Thanks Max....I use Whickett and Craig, so maybe this is their way to get me to use their pre-dyed black stuff:blahblahblah:

I will give your suggestions a try today on some scrap.

Thanks again.

R

The baking soda dip seems to have worked, it's all I've done differently from yesterday....I now have a pretty nice black...blacker than yesterday, but not Fiebings USMC black....I'll do the coffee thing in the morning.

R

Another thing is make sure you oil it just before its dry. You may have to oil it again after that but it depends.

MAX....don't go away...have another question for ya......on the scraps I did with the baking soda treatment, I put them out to suntan till they were dry....but still smelled the vinegar.

Is there anything wrong with giving it another baking soda bath?

MAX....don't go away...have another question for ya......on the scraps I did with the baking soda treatment, I put them out to suntan till they were dry....but still smelled the vinegar.

Is there anything wrong with giving it another baking soda bath?

I dont think you want to because from what I have read is that leather should be slightly acid. The baking soda wants to make it too basic and this can cause issues I think. Its fine after the initial vinegarooning because that stuff is more acid so it balances out after its all done allthough just brushed on vinegaroon hasnt hurt anything Ive done it to so far.

It will keep a little of the smell for a bit, just let it sit over night with a coat of oil. After that I usually wax and seal it and once I am done with that you cant really smell anything unless it gets wetted thru or its right under your nose (literally).

Oh and wanted to add also that I usually take a few days to complete a project, so when I do this I will usually get the leather I am going to work with and vinegaroon the whole lot before I start. This gives it a couple of days to work the smell out and also this way I avoid putting any hardware on the leather before hand which vinegaroon will reak havoc with. If I have the design already I cut out the pieces and do the same. Usually with the 2 or 3 days of working the project and oiling and waxing and sealing by the time I am all done it is just like normal but really nice black.

Good luck.

Edited by MADMAX22

Max, here's my latest v-roon attempt...came out pretty good this time.

black holster 002.jpg

black holster 001.jpg

post-4803-127340414211_thumb.jpg

post-4803-127340415299_thumb.jpg

That did turn out very nice. Really good deep black and best of all it wont end up on the pants lol.

Rayban, that looks really nice. I saw a post a while back on how to make the VG, but I just skimmed over it. I can't find that post now, so if you could let me know how you make it, I would be greatful.

Thanks, Joey

Max, here's my latest v-roon attempt...came out pretty good this time.

Rayban, that looks really nice. I saw a post a while back on how to make the VG, but I just skimmed over it. I can't find that post now, so if you could let me know how you make it, I would be greatful.

Thanks, Joey

I made mine like this:

I started out with a handful of rusty nails.

Bought a gallon of white vinegar....the cheap Kroger brand.

I poured the nails into the jug and left it out in the back patio where it got plenty of sun, and just forgot about it for a couple weeks.

when the vinegar is dirty looking, soups done.