I recently started using drum-dyed leather, black to be specific.

I'm having a problem when I apply Resoline finish to a piece with white stitching, the residue from the dye rubs off and contaminates the stitching quite badly.

Before applying the finish I'm very careful to rub off as much of the dry residue as possible, and have even rubbed with a damp cloth...but there is always enough left on the leather to contaminate the white stitching.

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to keep this from happening.

Thanks!!

Apply the resolene before stitching.

Thanks, but that wouldn't work for me. When making holsters I stitch before I wet form, then finish when dry.

I've tried stitching after forming but the machine doesn't like that.

Rayban,

Maybe if you used a small paintbrush an painted Wyo-Sheen directly on the sewn seam (the thread), the dye wouldn't penetrate the Wyo-Sheen. You could then do any finish you needed to and the thread would stay white. I have not had to use Wyo-Sheen for that, but it seems to me it might just work. Good luck.

Claude Scott

Flying 'S' Leather

Claude, I like that idea! Think I'll try it real soon. I don't have Wyo but I have some Super Sheen.

Thanks!

Nope, that didn't work.....the black dye still rubbed off over the white stitching.

What DID work was...I very lightly dabbed on the first coat of Res over the entire work...let it dry, then I was able to apply the second coat with a little more rubbing action.

The first coat seals off the black area enough. I cut the Res 50/50 and usually use 2 or 3 coats.

I tried spraying the Res on but I believe it was too thick for the particular sprayer I was using..

I normally use Fiebings Pro Oil dyes and don't have this problem.......the tannery, when they drum dye, must not.

I have the same problem if I use USMC black or regular Leather dye....they both leave a lot of residue when dry.

Edited by Rayban

When all else failed, I tried this and it worked well!

I didn't think my machine would let me get close enough to the gun profile....when making holsters.....if I molded, finished, then stitched.

But it does. I just finished a black holster with white stitching..and I'm happy.

Thanks!!