TigerPal

Singer 29-4 For $1,200

I have been offered a Singer 29-4 patcher for $1,200. It is allegedly "in great shape, capable of being operated wsith either hand crank or treadle, or with the addition of a servo motor". Assuming the description is accurate, would that be fair price? and how old is the machine likely to be (i.e. when was the model discontinued)? are parts hard to find? thanks in advance for any advice.

Without seeing close-up photos and a report concerning the play in the presser bar/feed crank, I would have to advise you that, unless the machine has no more than a few dozen hours of use, $1200 is more than unfair; it is highway robbery. The machine is probably between 90 to 100 years old, and while that in itself does not determine its worth, the amount of slack in the feed and shuttle driver mechanisms and condition/absence of required tensioning components does.

If you go and inspect the machine and find it to be in very good condition, with almost immeasurable slack in the presser foot feed mechanism, $500 to $600 would be a more than generous (private party) offer. OTOH, if there is considerable free movement of the lifted presser foot (forward/backward), or tensioning parts are missing, binding, or broken, $250 - $300 would be a fair price, considering what it will cost to have it brought up to specs.

A worn out 29-4 patcher will have a small maximum stitch length, or may not feed at all. Even if it is as tight as the day it was built, 5 stitches per inch is all it will give, into about 1/8 inch of leather. At 1/4 inch, the maximum it can sew, the stitch length may drop to no more than 6 or 7 per inch.

The 29-4 is not suitable for use with thread heavier than #92, top and bottom. The bobbins are very tiny and don't hold very much thread. The machine was made for repairing tears in boots and shoes (with frequent bobbin and top thread color changes) and is most frequently used to sew patches onto leather biker vests.

The only way a 29-4 would be worth more is if it has been rebuilt by an industrial sewing machine mechanic who is selling it through a dealership with some warranty. The dealer would have presumably replaced all worn, broken and missing parts, timed it, tensioned it and tested it on leather. They will also be able to supply needles, bobbins and bobbin cases for it, as well as a threading rod and thread. Such a rebuilt to specs machine could go for upwards of $1000, treadle operated.

Patchers mounted on cast iron bases are not easily converted to motorized machines, with the exception of using a 1.5 amp (150 watt) home style motor and solid state controller. The motor bracket would have to be custom fitted to a hole you would have to drill and tap into the lower back section of the machine. I have such a setup on my long arm Singer patcher and the motor can barely start the machine on its own. Perhaps it would be easier to turn over a little bitty 29-4.

If you have $1200 to spend on a sewing machine, why are you looking at a century old shoe upper patcher? What do you intend to sew with your next machine?

Wiz is right on the nail. I have seen these machines go for 50 to 300 dollars at Weavers auction . The price is way out of line.

I have been offered a Singer 29-4 patcher for $1,200. It is allegedly "in great shape, capable of being operated wsith either hand crank or treadle, or with the addition of a servo motor". Assuming the description is accurate, would that be fair price? and how old is the machine likely to be (i.e. when was the model discontinued)? are parts hard to find? thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by busted

A lot of the 29-4 patchers were built in the 1920s and 30s. They were used by cobblers for shoe and boot repairs. Most were badly worn out by their 50th birthday.

A comment on the addition of a motor to the Singer patcher. I just recently purchased an Adler 30-1 with a treadle and have very sucessfully added a motor to the machine. The Adler is very similar to the Singer 29 and should accept the same motor. And i want to say up front that NO modifications were made to the machine itself and all components are bolt on and are what I used for the Adler.

I started with a Consew CS-1001 servo motor with a needle positioner although a CS-1000 would work but not give me the functionality I wanted. I made wooden arms underneath the 4 mounting holes used to attach the sewing machine to the treadle base, Longer bolts 5/16 NC x 2 inch long attached the arms. A small shelf was then bolted to the arms which protrude rearward of the treadle base about 8 inches. The servo motor then attaches to the bottom of the shelf hanging down. I used a 1/4 inch round leather belt but suspect a 5/16 (8mm) belt would work a bit better. I did need to put a small idler wheel for the belt to clear the corner of the treadle base.

The needle positioner mounts to an adapter, included with the motor, to the shaft end of the machine with a 8mm x 1 mm pitch x 25mm bolt slotted for a flat screwdriver. A small wooden arm made to attach to the bobbin winder holds holds the positioner in place. A wood pedal and a commercial rod attaches to the servo motor for speed control.

I picked the Consew because it was a servo driven motor, has programmable speed and direction, and has a positioner. It works very well (awesome).

I can program the max speed to a slow setting and when I release the pedal the needle is programmed to be in the down position. I can easily turn the foot or material. Sew some more. I can also "heel" the pedal (make it go up instead of down) and the servo will pull the needle in the up position and I can then manually raise the foot and remove the material.

This is a machine even more fun to run now that it has the servo. And the cost was not bad either. The motor was $176.00 but it did take a lot of thinking and making of parts to mount the motor without and mods to the sewing machine itself.

Hi, do you have any pictures of your set-up? I have a 29-4 and am considering adding a servo motor. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Naomi