Sixer

Need Help - Singer 20-U33

Sorry for the urgent post...

but I have a chance to purchase a Singer 20u33 industrial sewing machine for a great price.

I need a machine that can handle up to 2 layers of 7/8 Herman Oak for holsters. Is this a machine I could use?

Is it worth $300 in excellent condition?

Thanks in advance :)

NO,it won't work,this machine is worth $300.00 of your sewing clothes or thin material BUT not for leather,it won't use any thread heavier than #69 & with the front loading bobbin it's hard to make a nice looking stitch in leather too.Also this machine has a knob on the end of the handwheel to disengage the wheel to wind bobbins & when you sew heavy it will unlook itself.

Edited by sewmun

NO,it won't work,this machine is worth $300.00 of your sewing clothes or thin material BUT not for leather,it won't use any thread heavier than #69 & with the front loading bobbin it's hard to make a nice looking stitch in leather too.Also this machine has a knob on the end of the handwheel to disengage the wheel to wind bobbins & when you sew heavy it will unlook itself.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately not what I wanted to hear, lol... but you just saved me $300 :)

Looks like I'll be sticking with hand-stitching my leather for now. Thanks again!

An old Singer 31-15 will do some good work for you.Sometimes you can find em on craiglist for $300 or less.

An old Singer 31-15 will do some good work for you.Sometimes you can find em on craiglist for $300 or less.

Bob,

You just answered my next question! I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again for your help :)

Eric

I just read this topic and would like to know if the Singer 20-33 (blue colored) would be consider in the same manner of not being good for leather/vinyl sewing? is it a different machine? any input would be greatly appreciated.

post-21425-031451400 1305843001_thumb.jp

I just read this topic and would like to know if the Singer 20-33 (blue colored) would be consider in the same manner of not being good for leather/vinyl sewing? is it a different machine? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Same machine...don't use it for anything other than clothing or denim or garment weight leather.

Ron

Thank you Ron for the quick answer. I was contemplating purchasing this item for $350, but was hesitant for some reason. This forum is great!

A quick note about Singer numbering.

20 is the model series. The '-' means made in USA (usually) whereas the 'U' stands for Japan (I think). 'K' is Kilbowie Scotland, 'P' Penrith in Sydney Australia, etc. The last digits indicate the version which in the case of the 20U refers to different stitch widths only.

Just to confuse things, the '20' was also used on another model way back pre 1900.........

Good information to know. I guess these answers saved me some money.

We have a 20U33 that we set up for straight stitching Denim Jeans hems. That’s about all we use it for, although I’d like to take advantage of the Zigzag capability of the machine, so I’m setting up an old Singer 95-40 for hemming so I can put the zz plate, dogs, and foot back on it.

The 20U33 is not as “industrial” as it looks (IMO), and isn’t built nearly as stout as the old Singers. It’ll do denim or duck ok, but we haven’t tried leather of any kind on it, since we have other machines for that.

CD in Oklahoma

We have a 20U33 that we set up for straight stitching Denim Jeans hems. That's about all we use it for, although I'd like to take advantage of the Zigzag capability of the machine, so I'm setting up an old Singer 95-40 for hemming so I can put the zz plate, dogs, and foot back on it.

The 20U33 is not as "industrial" as it looks (IMO), and isn't built nearly as stout as the old Singers. It'll do denim or duck ok, but we haven't tried leather of any kind on it, since we have other machines for that.

CD in Oklahoma

I sell them set up more for the home sewer who wants something that can put in a lot of hours without giving up the ghost.