carver

hand crank splitters

I got it in my head a hand cranked splitter like an American would be a good addition to my shop . can anybody tell me how well they work and any pointers in what to look out for on them ...... weakness problems with them ?????? I bought a hand cranked sewing machine without getting your expert advise and ended up throwing it in the creek and bought artisan toro with your advise and that worked out a lot better . thanks in advance

Carver

I am Bruce, and I am a splitteraholic. I had an American. My experiences with it. For a crank splitter it is pretty good. It feeds from the back, which is a plus I'll get to. They are a 6" width so a little limited. It does firm leather fine. Softer leather like some latigo will wad up between the feedwheel and blade if the blade starts to get dull or the leather hits a soft spot. Smething specific to the American - the platform that the blade sits on can have a hairline crack. It is from a casting deal with a slight bow in the face, so when you tighten the bolts that hold it on the frame it puts tension on the platform. No big deal, the bolts hold both sides of the blade, and the blade splints the platform. Apparently fairly common from talking to some guys who have them. It sure didn't hurt the resale on mine when I decided to sell it. The downside of the American and crank splitters in general is they are TEDIOUS. I can pull two stirrup leathers through a pull through in the time it takes to crank one, and be a lot less bored and tired. They are handy for splitting smaller pieces that would would require pulling from both sides of a pull splitter though. The upside of feeding from the back is that I could take a latigo, get it started, let go of the handle and pull it through and let the handle free wheel. I have cranked some Landis ones, and they are good too. Greg Gomersall might still have one for sale.

i have a Landis hand cranked splitter that i bought off e-bay 5 years ago for app$500.00

i would not take $1500.00 for it . it is one of the finest machines machines that i have.

It is very useful for strap work , stirup leathers and belts.

What are you asking for it and thank you for the other replies

Edited by carver

I am Bruce, and I am a splitteraholic. I had an American. My experiences with it. For a crank splitter it is pretty good. It feeds from the back, which is a plus I'll get to. They are a 6" width so a little limited. It does firm leather fine. Softer leather like some latigo will wad up between the feedwheel and blade if the blade starts to get dull or the leather hits a soft spot. Smething specific to the American - the platform that the blade sits on can have a hairline crack. It is from a casting deal with a slight bow in the face, so when you tighten the bolts that hold it on the frame it puts tension on the platform. No big deal, the bolts hold both sides of the blade, and the blade splints the platform. Apparently fairly common from talking to some guys who have them. It sure didn't hurt the resale on mine when I decided to sell it. The downside of the American and crank splitters in general is they are TEDIOUS. I can pull two stirrup leathers through a pull through in the time it takes to crank one, and be a lot less bored and tired. They are handy for splitting smaller pieces that would would require pulling from both sides of a pull splitter though. The upside of feeding from the back is that I could take a latigo, get it started, let go of the handle and pull it through and let the handle free wheel. I have cranked some Landis ones, and they are good too. Greg Gomersall might still have one for sale.

Bruce thanks for the reply. would you suggest I stick with my hand splitter ? its tandy model or stay with the hand splitter but grade to some type of osborn

Carver,

Realize that I have no loyalty to many things. There are Ford, Chevy, and a Dodge pickup in our driveway at night. I had one of the Professional Tandy splitters - first or second one I got. It needed some machining to be right, and rebeveling the blade to a lower angle, and I sold it. I bought the American crank splitter and a Landis crank skiver from an old friend. They both were fine. If I was just dealing with veg-tan or harness leather, I'd have been happy with the American. I also split some latigo, chap, mulehide, and other softer leathers. I got my first Chase pattern pull through, and it would do them all, without chopping a strap like some of the Osborne designs. I started off with an 8" CS Osborne Chase. Traded for a 10" CSO Chase later on. Kind of nice - leave one set at 8 oz, and the other set to whatever else I needed. On a trip I got an 10" HF Osborne Chase because it was such a different and simple design and very cool. I had used a Krebs before and really wanted one. Last fall I bought one, and ended up and got another in a deal two weeks later along with a 12" Hanson Chase pattern. The guy I bought the 12" from then found a flush mount 12" early Chase style, and I got that one also for no other reason than to have a spare 12" blade. Some of my splitters are for sure over 100 years old, and they all could be. The bevel on these old blades is shallower, the steel is good, and they all work fine for me, although I just have the Randall Krebs, 10" CSO Chase and 12" Hanson Chase mounted. I leveled a 11-1/2" wide swell cover through the 12" Hanson last week. Some splitters I have sold as I traded up.

It really depends on what you need one to split. If I was doing vegtan straps, wanted to process scraps easier, and 6 inches wide was adeqaute, the handcrank is the ticket. Softer leather splits better pulled. The Osborne 86 pull throughs can have the strap ride up the bevel or flip up and chop. The exposed blade on the 86 is just asking to make you bleed at some point. The hold-down bar on the 84 and clones help to prevent that some, but can still happen. The upper roller on the Krebs eliminates it. The dial setting on the Krebs makes it very repeatable. The upper and lower rollers on the Chase pattern or Krebs means the leather has no place to go but into the blade. I like that, and they haven't seemed to make one with that design for about 80 years. For a pull through, if I had it all to do over - I'd get a Krebs first and then a Chase pattern to back it up.

I have a 12 inch crank splitter that was made by Marvin Deitz in Harrison, Idaho. I got it in a package deal about five years ago. I would highly reccommend getting a splitter from him if you want to split anything up to 11 inches wide. I have talked to him on the phone a couple of times to trouble shoot miine. By the way, not the machine but operator error putting the blade back in after sharpening. Marvin knows his stuff and I think he will work with you to learn the technical parts of his splitter.

Marvins contact info is:

Marvin Deitz

PO Box 277

Harrison, Idaho 83833

208-689-3086

Bruce, if you haven't heard of this guy and contact him, I will apologize to you now. I don't think I should be held responsible for giving this information to benefit others. I just don't want to contribute to your splitteraholicism. :-D

Joe Boyles

Rugged Cross Saddlery

Joe,

Marvin's splitter sounds ideal. I gave Marvin a call and left a message. If possible, would you be able to post a picture of your splitter?

Ed

I have a 12 inch crank splitter that was made by Marvin Deitz in Harrison, Idaho. I got it in a package deal about five years ago. I would highly reccommend getting a splitter from him if you want to split anything up to 11 inches wide. I have talked to him on the phone a couple of times to trouble shoot miine. By the way, not the machine but operator error putting the blade back in after sharpening. Marvin knows his stuff and I think he will work with you to learn the technical parts of his splitter.

Marvins contact info is:

Marvin Deitz

PO Box 277

Harrison, Idaho 83833

208-689-3086

Bruce, if you haven't heard of this guy and contact him, I will apologize to you now. I don't think I should be held responsible for giving this information to benefit others. I just don't want to contribute to your splitteraholicism. :-D

Joe Boyles

Rugged Cross Saddlery

I have a six inch crank splitter, it is a Landis I think. I find I really need to keep the blade sharp, sharp, sharp. I finally got tired of trying to hand sharpen it and took it to a company that sharpens planer blades. That was the best thing I did. Since doing that it works perfectly.

Hi. I thought I'd direct a question to the knowledgeable folks here. I'm accustomed to using a band knife splitter, but am considering one of these stationary blade hand splitters for my home workshop. Can anyone tell me if I can get fairly reliable splits at around 1.5 ounces if the leather is fairly firm? I know these manual splitters can be a little tricky, but I'm wondering if with a little trial and error I can get decent results. I'm usually splitting pieces that are approximately 4" x 12".

:helpsmilie: I have a Pedersen hand crank splitter that I bought on a flea market. I took it apart to clean it and paint it as it looked terrible, and now I´m into big trouble. I have assembled it and tried to get it to work again, but - it does not split leather! Does anyone have an idea on how to adjust it, where to start adjusting, a manual, or any hints on getting this piece of iron into working order.

OK, I can use it as a door stop but I would rather use it as a splitter. Please, :helpsmilie: !

Just a thought.........Harris at "prilgrimshoemachine.com" might be able to help you

good luck

Just a thought.........Harris at "prilgrimshoemachine.com" might be able to help you

good luck

Thank´s Luke. Will contact them!

/ knut

Hello I'm looking for a PDF or hard copy of the C S Osborne Leather Splitter #86. I just bought one for 200USD on ebay, Quite impressed with the deal. But need to know how to work it. Does the leather get fed through the front? How to adjust etc?

Can be emailed at

gml-@sympatico.ca

Stephen

I have the 8" hand crank splitter from Weaver with a very good hollow ground blade , very easy to sharp . Is easy too, to adjust .

This kind of machines are hard to find in Europe. Weaver puts it at my shop door.

I have seen the splitters mentioned in this thread only by photo. Landis seems very solid

Hi Joe,

I'm still trying to get in touch with Marvin to see if he's still making his splitters. Do you remember what you paid?

Ed

Joe,

Marvin's splitter sounds ideal. I gave Marvin a call and left a message. If possible, would you be able to post a picture of your splitter?

Ed

I have a couple of splitters, one American that I rebuilt and not sure about the other one although it is not a hand crank job, but a pull through. I find the American to work well, but is too narrow most of the time for the work I am doing. I need a band splitter. Go with a bigger one I say.

Here is a copy of the flyer from Marvin Deitz on his splitter.

Deitz_Splitter.jpg

post-5233-1240548618_thumb.jpg

Does he make a strap cutter by chance?

Here is a copy of the flyer from Marvin Deitz on his splitter.

What sort of price does this splitter go for and is there any chance that Marvin has an email address as it's going to be difficult for me to contact him by calling and snail mail is likely to take to long (my sister is currently in America and might be able to help bring me one back if the price is right).

Also what do the Landis ones usually go for though I think they might be a little on the small side (Lunchtime here at work and I don't have my main pattern here to check sizes).

I'm also looking at the American (probably too small as well) and the Weaver so if someone knows what they go for as well that would be great.

I know the postage is going to be fairly high on any of the splitters as they are heavy but I haven't come across any in Australia yet and I really would prefer a hand crank one due to the shapes that have to go through it.

This is also the only machinery I need for what I am doing so I am prepared to pay a bit more to get something decent, so if anyone knows of anyone currently selling any of the hand crank splitters please get them to contact me through the board.

Thanks for any help

Cheers,

Clair

Hello I'm looking for a PDF or hard copy of the C S Osborne Leather Splitter #86. I just bought one for 200USD on ebay, Quite impressed with the deal. But need to know how to work it. Does the leather get fed through the front? How to adjust etc?

Can be emailed at

gml-@sympatico.ca

Stephen

He was set up at Sheridan a couple years ago, I played around with his splitter and was impressed, cannot remember the cost 1600.00 comes to mind. Artisen came out with a motorized verison very simular and seemed to work well also. As I remember both were quite expensive, in the 2000.00 neighborhood.

[

What sort of price does this splitter go for and is there any chance that Marvin has an email address as it's going to be difficult for me to contact him by calling and snail mail is likely to take to long (my sister is currently in America and might be able to help bring me one back if the price is right).

Also what do the Landis ones usually go for though I think they might be a little on the small side (Lunchtime here at work and I don't have my main pattern here to check sizes).

I'm also looking at the American (probably too small as well) and the Weaver so if someone knows what they go for as well that would be great.

I know the postage is going to be fairly high on any of the splitters as they are heavy but I haven't come across any in Australia yet and I really would prefer a hand crank one due to the shapes that have to go through it.

This is also the only machinery I need for what I am doing so I am prepared to pay a bit more to get something decent, so if anyone knows of anyone currently selling any of the hand crank splitters please get them to contact me through the board.

Thanks for any help

Cheers,

Clair

Clair,

The Weaver handcrank has an 8" blade and sells for just under $1900 according to my 1-2 year old catalog. The Landis and American handcranks have 6" blades. They usually trade for around $400-700 if complete and depending on condition and blade left. Once in a while you can score a deal on one. The refurbishers sell them for a little more, but they have gone through them and know they are ready to go.

Thanks Bruce I thought the Weaver was going to be a high price thats a bit out of my price range as I would have to pay import tax on that amount (we get $1000 limit before we have to pay import tax in Oz) Would be the perfect size though there was one on ebay a few weeks ago but that's the only time I've seen one in the few months I've been looking.

Might see if I can get my sister to ring Marvin as his splitter definately looks interesting

I've read a few threads about splitters now and was wondering if the chase design you use might also be worth looking into so I was just wondering how well do they go on funny shaped patterns ie wider in the middle than the ends. I would be splitting 4mm (10 oz) down to 2.5mm (about 6 oz). I only use veg tan leather so don't need to take chrome tanned into consideration.

Thankyou for any help

Cheers,

Clair