Gonnate

Greetings from sunny mid-England

Hello, from the English Midlands. And yes, it is sunny-ish just now!

I've just found this forum & it looks great.

I have been stitching odd things on & off for a few years, mostly self-taught, plus info picked up here & there. I made a shoulder bag from veg-tan leather 10 years ago, which I use every day, and people often comment favourably on it; but my two grandfathers, both shoemakers, would have seriously disapproved I'm sure! Sadly I never had the opportunity to learn anything from them.

I'm now hoping to make a fairly rigid case to keep some Northumbrian smallpipes in. (About 2 ft long, and roughly 8" by 6"deep.) I have some ideas, but am hoping to ask questions about this of you good people. I've been advised to get Stohlman's "The art of making leather cases" already, though all 3 vols come out v-e-r-y expensive for me, so I'm hoping there are patient people here who don't mind answering queries about making a case like this.

Some other net groups I found are only concerned with leather carving & tooling, which is a great skill but not what I'm trying to learn just now.

Best wishes to all,

Richard.

Hi and welcome!

You sure have found the right place to find answers so read read read and study troughout the threads. I think there might be lots of good material for you that got lost in a server crash in Jan -08. All you se now is from after that crash and there are people working with recovering that lost material.

There are no dumb questions so just ask if theres anything you need. I'm sure you're on good way allready with more than 10 years experience.

Tom

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forum! I'm also from the Midlands (Ludlow). I'm not much help with case making I'm afraid but always happy to chat. Drop me a PM and I'll send you some contact details.

Ray