wavemechanics

Threading Needles And Stitching

So are there any tips on what size of thread and needle I should be using in conjunction with amount of ounces per piece. if anyone has a general rule of thumb I'd be interested in hearing it. Do particular item merit certain sizes of thread?

Edited by wavemechanics

Once you know by experience (yours or someone else's) that a certain thread will stand the strain it's a matter of looks, tradition and what you can obtain. Items like horse tack are different though; I leave well alone if a person's life, limbs or livelihood depend on it.

As for needles, use the smallest that you can thread the eye. I use James Joyce no4 for almost everything. Yes, they are tiny, and no, Tandy doesn't sell them or anything that doesn't look like a crowbar in comparison. That makes stitching much easier. The trick to getting the thread to fit is to taper the ends. Takes a minute but makes stitching incredibly easy. Or, as I now do, get some linen yarn and learn to roll your threads by hand. You get beautiful long, slender tapers and can make a thread as thick or as thin as you like, without having half a dozen different rolls lying around.

I stitch most of what I make with a 12/3 linen thread, hand rolled and waxed with stickywax (beeswax/rosin in equal amounts). It's surprisingly strong, but looks thin if I stitch at lower than 7SPI and borders on too thick at 10SPI. For me, thread size depends on stitching rate and rate varies according to leather thickness.

Get yourself a harness needle, Size 0. Get used to that and then try a 1,and a 2. The larger the number the smaller the needle. #000 is the largest. Get the book on The Art of Hand Sewing Leather and learn how to taper the end to thread the needle. Its on sale at Tandy for 9.99 as a PDF download file.

I use a #0 harness needle and 5 linen waxed for my hand sewing. I also have 3 strand and 7 strand. I use the 3 for 3-5 oz leather the 5 for 6-10 oz and the 7 strand for anything larger. You will find that everyone has a different favorite for hand sewing. Its what you like and works for you.

Thanks for the reply! I currently use something I got from tandy but I'll be sure to see if they carry anything smaller.

If they gave you the big eye needles replace them with normal needles. They are easy to thread, break easily and are very hard to pull through.