barbiesdude

Trouble With Nose Button

I am having a little trouble with the nose button (the way Alan B.'s tut. shows)When I run my pairs to the ends I can't seem to figure out how to go back to split them in the herringbone pattern. Each end is different in that one end comes out where i have to cross under 3 right under the x that is part of the bite, which seems to leave a little exposed in the v of the bite. The other end with the 1/3 comes out where I cross under 3 just like normal on the x in the next row under the bite. Should both ends be identical or have I messed up in my turn backs somewere? Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows this in detail. Any help would be appreciated, I am practicing with para cord now but I have a nice side of bighorn latigo ready to morph into a bosal.

Jamie

I have trouble with this just about every time. The last couple I just made another bite and did a few passes of Gaucho pattern and the switch it to herringbone. Makes it kinda fancy and works out easier for me. What you can do is practice with some para-cord until you get the hang of the turnback, that way you don't mess up good lace.

First time posting pics, don't know if this will work, but here goes.

post-17849-011262300 1318694831_thumb.jp

Hey! It looks like you turned your ends back differently on the bottom then the way you crowned them to braid down. So if you run you pairs out of the end, one side would be over one and one end will be under one! You can turn them back herringbone by over or onder 3. On the end its comes out over 1 you go over 2 more then under 2 then over 2 and so on. The end that comes out under 1 you go under 2 more, and then over 2, over 2 under 2 over 2 and so on. This will give you a herringbone interweave, but won't be turned back pineapple (inside the button) which would require both ends to be the same turnback.

Exactly, thats what I couldn't figure out. Why didn't both ends match for my skeleton knot. I have since got a diagram from my new friend in Germany that straightened me out. I hope to start braiding a "real" nose button soon on a "real" hackamore. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jamie

Hey! It looks like you turned your ends back differently on the bottom then the way you crowned them to braid down. So if you run you pairs out of the end, one side would be over one and one end will be under one! You can turn them back herringbone by over or onder 3. On the end its comes out over 1 you go over 2 more then under 2 then over 2 and so on. The end that comes out under 1 you go under 2 more, and then over 2, over 2 under 2 over 2 and so on. This will give you a herringbone interweave, but won't be turned back pineapple (inside the button) which would require both ends to be the same turnback.

I think the reason the ends wont match is that you are tying one end in the normal fashion (whatever normal is for you either away from you or towards you), and the other end is backwards. This means that you will go under 3 one at one end and just under 2 at the other end because eventually you will bring the other ends around and finish at the top. This is really confusing in writing and much easier to see in person. Or I may be confused my self lol. It may be easier for you to tie this knot if you make it longer so that you can see how the wraps lay out as you go both directions. This can be a really confusing way of tying the nosebutton, but it is really easy when you get it down and understand it.

It might also be easier if you do more bights to spread things out a bit.

CW

Edited by Aggiebraider

Exactly, thats what I couldn't figure out. Why didn't both ends match for my skeleton knot. I have since got a diagram from my new friend in Germany that straightened me out. I hope to start braiding a "real" nose button soon on a "real" hackamore. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jamie

I crown my strands starting in my left hand. For the pineapple/gaucho you go under the first strand, then over and under to the end. Then the 2nd under over, and so on, until the last one you take around the mandrel, rein/bosal bosy or whatever and then go under over under etc. to the bottom. Then you start braiding down by which ever side would start with under1 over 1. When you get to the bottom, to make it the same, I have turn it back when a strand from the left comes around, and follows a right strand up, and then turn back each in sequence, as you obviously know how to do. If I were to turn it back with the right strand coming around and following a string in my left hand it would be different. Some people crown the strands at the top by going over a strand, or whatever, and that would effect it. This is just ONE way to do it, the way I personally do as learned from rawhide and bitmaking guru Dave Klesper. You must have gotten the Tom Hall diamgram from Mr. Nagel? We have written books to each other on braiding! lol No rush, I have lots of practice buttons, and still go back to it. Best of luck! Try, try again, and it will come!

Brent

Yep, you guessed it. That was a HUGE help and I am so appreciative for it. I hope to keep the correspondance going and maybe I can return the favor some day.

What you posted in how you do it makes sense now that I have seen that diagram. It feels good to get a little break through every now and again.

Jamie