Sign in to follow this  
Geo4x4

Question about stripping / redyeing boots

Got a quick question...

I have a pair of ostrich skin boots that I like but the color is horrible (some sort of burnt yellow). I want to strip off the old sealer and redye them (dark brown). I assume the process would pretty much be (clean them -> strip off the old sealer/oil -> redye -> let dry -> seal/oil them). Is this about right?

I am sorry I don't have a picture or more specifications to post (will try to get something tomorrow if I can find where I hid the hideous things)

They were given to me a year or so ago, don't know much about them, and I haven't worn them much but I need something to wear to a symposium that is a little more fancy than my hiking boots.

-Paul

Got a quick question...

I have a pair of ostrich skin boots that I like but the color is horrible (some sort of burnt yellow). I want to strip off the old sealer and redye them (dark brown). I assume the process would pretty much be (clean them -> strip off the old sealer/oil -> redye -> let dry -> seal/oil them). Is this about right?

I am sorry I don't have a picture or more specifications to post (will try to get something tomorrow if I can find where I hid the hideous things)

They were given to me a year or so ago, don't know much about them, and I haven't worn them much but I need something to wear to a symposium that is a little more fancy than my hiking boots.

-Paul

Paul,

You are on the right track.

Try Tandy's "Deglazer" liquid, it will take off the sealer, oils on the surface from the previous finish, or acetone. Just let all dry well (well ventalated area) Note also that these will soften the glue between stitches so don't be sloppy with these products, apply to a rag and apply to surface with a wiping motion. Don't soak the welt or sole.

Use a liquid dye, I prefer Lincoln brand. (Use a dauber for large area and q-tips for hard to reach edges.) It is an alcohol base but let it dry completely then decide if a second coat is needed.

At this point I use Meltonian cream polish. It will restore some oils/waxes to the leather and will even out the color and brings up a shine.

You can decide if you want to use a sealer or not at this point. I don't seal after this point because the polish performs that. If they are going to get heavy damp use you can apply Tan Kote, Resolene, or something like that.

Good luck,

Rick J.

Thank you, that is just what I was looking for...

I went and found the boots in question

IMG_0295.JPG

post-11929-125701724125_thumb.jpg