I am making a wrap for the forearm stock of my hunting rifle. My husband keeps telling me that he's worried that the oil he uses in cleaning/maintaining the gun may stain my leather wrap. Is there something I can use to seal the leather against oil?

:sign23:

Anyone?

I am making a wrap for the forearm stock of my hunting rifle. My husband keeps telling me that he's worried that the oil he uses in cleaning/maintaining the gun may stain my leather wrap. Is there something I can use to seal the leather against oil?

HI Hilly;;

I would use a polyurathane spray from hardware store ( varathane )is my choice ;;I use it on my buckles and painted fiberglass gun stocks;; used for many years..do a test on scrap leather ....apply very heavy let dry completly ...should fix you up..

(this is what Doc said to tell you when I called him .. apprentice-Stacy-

I'm just guessing, but wouldn't a couple coats of Neat-Lac or saddle lac provide enough protection? At least until you got the oil wiped off the leather. I'm interested in this too, I want to hear what our pros have to say.

You take it hunting or shooting and he gets to clean it? Sweet deal. Don't switch to black powder, there may be a divorce. I guess you could seal it up with Neat-Lac or one of the sheens, however, a little oil won't necessarily hurt and will disperse over time, not too sure if bore solvent is going to do it a lot of good though. You might want to switch to Ballistol, it is more leather friendly.

Art

Resolene is an acrylic finish that oil will not penetrate, so personally, I don't like it. But it will do what you want.

It is made by Fiebings as a leather finish. It looks like milk but it dries clear and shiny.<br><br>Oil will penetrate Neat-Lac, but it takes a few hours.<br>

Edited by TroyWest

You take it hunting or shooting and he gets to clean it? Sweet deal. Don't switch to black powder, there may be a divorce. I guess you could seal it up with Neat-Lac or one of the sheens, however, a little oil won't necessarily hurt and will disperse over time, not too sure if bore solvent is going to do it a lot of good though. You might want to switch to Ballistol, it is more leather friendly.

Art

Of course he cleans it! Isn't that what a husband is for???

He cleans my muzzle loader for me, too! :)

Resolene will protect, but it leaves a plastic look. On tooled leather it just takes all the depth out. I've seen tooled saddles done with it and I just didn't like the look. Maybe it is just me. I sure would do a test piece to see if you like it.

Art

Resolene is an acrylic finish that oil will not penetrate, so personally, I don't like it. But it will do what you want.

It is made by Fiebings as a leather finish. It looks like milk but it dries clear and shiny.<br><br>Oil will penetrate Neat-Lac, but it takes a few hours.<br>

Resolene will protect, but it leaves a plastic look. On tooled leather it just takes all the depth out. I've seen tooled saddles done with it and I just didn't like the look. Maybe it is just me. I sure would do a test piece to see if you like it.

Art

No, I hate that plastic look! Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like I may have to figure out a way to make that wrap easily removable. The forearm stock is a tubular piece of some type of carbon mesh (surrounds the free-floating barrel.)

LR-308 L.jpg

post-5039-127201912197_thumb.jpg