BikerMike

Leather For Vests And Clothing

I have been doing some tooling around with veg-tanned leather for small items. But I have acquired an interest in creating vests and jackets and such. Specially since the purchase of my 29-4 Patcher. I've also got an Emdeko industrial sewing machine. So my interests are turning a bit in that direction.

My question, and this may sound dumb, but, what is the best leather weight for such items. When looking at leather online, I see adverts for lighter weight leathers, but it is usually called upholstery leather. Chap leather may be to thick. Or not.

Any advise, anyone?

You'll likely want to stay in the 2-3oz range for most types of vests or heavy jackets. Light jackets would be even thinner. Chaps...yeah, you'll want heavier leather for that. Look for "deer tanned" or some other chrome tanned leather for garments, and call (not online order) the distributor you're purchasing from and tell them what you're wanting to do. A person you talk to *should* know enough about the leather to give you a suggestion.

I recommend 2-3 oz for leather shirts (.7mm-.9mm) Optimum

3 -4 oz for Vests, Jackets, and Pants (1.2mm-1,3mm) Optimum

4- 5 oz for Chaps (1.4mm-1.6mm) Optimum

All Full-Grain Leather...

Mike D Loach and Tramp

Thank you both. I was sure I was looking in the right direction, but it is good to get confirmation. I'll post my first items.

You're welcome, looking forward to seeing your work...

you could even consider the milled veg tan from tandy. i saw this stuff and it is really cool. it's got the feel of a heavy weight chrome tanned skin, but it's veg tanned. it would make a real nice skin for chaps and vests. i am not recalling the weight of the stuff i saw.....might have been 4-5 oz.

What do you all think is the best for vest making. Veg-tan or Chrome tanned? I am wanting to start making vest also.

I think that any type of clothing would be best in chrome tanned, and you can add pieces or patches of tooled leather as needed. The CT won't harden or wet form like VT will, and the Ct is commonly drum dyed and struck through......in a nut shell, it wears better.

Mike is absolutely spot on --- Chrome tanned is best for vests, jackets, motorcycle chaps, pants, etc...

....bras, corsets, boustiers.....

....bras, corsets, boustiers.....

Yeah, especially those items... :thumbsup:

What is the difference between chrome tan an chrome oil tan ?