ElNino

toolmakers

Luckily a tight budget is making me do a lot more research than usual before buying any tools. From the list I have found the names of some toolmakers that definitely make some very fine tools, I am trying very hard to make the right choices when buying any tools so I would appreciate any guidance regarding your favorite tools and the reason for choosing that particular maker.

These are some of the names I have heard you talking about, I am also looking for website and or contact information for them please feel free to add others that make fine quality tools.

Robert Beard

Vergez Blanchard

Bob Douglas

Barry King

Norm Lynds

Danny Marlin

Chuck Smith

Cheers,

Chris

chris, i just got some tools from barry king. i live in australia and i rang him direct. he took my order himself and delivery was swift. the tools were about $20 each but they are amazing and a joy to use. i didnt understand the huge difference they could make, but i am definitely a convert now. My humble advice is, if you have $100 to spend dont buy 20 at $5, buy 5 at $20

Barry King Tools

184 N. Main

Sheridan, WY 82801

USA

Phone: (307) 672-5657

FAX: (307) 672-5235

chris, i just got some tools from barry king. i live in australia and i rang him direct. he took my order himself and delivery was swift. the tools were about $20 each but they are amazing and a joy to use. i didnt understand the huge difference they could make, but i am definitely a convert now. My humble advice is, if you have $100 to spend dont buy 20 at $5, buy 5 at $20

Barry King Tools

184 N. Main

Sheridan, WY 82801

USA

Phone: (307) 672-5657

FAX: (307) 672-5235

Leatheroo,

Cheers mate, I absolutely agree with you there are few things worse than working with cheap tools (other than tossing them in the corner and buying the tool you should have bought in the first place) I live in Spain so the shipping and duties can be quite brutal. I just had a very expensive go around with UPS but from what I understand they are notorious for their "brokerage" fees. I just ordered some books and I'm having them shipped USPS so we'll see how that pans out.

Cheers,

Chrid

Luckily a tight budget is making me do a lot more research than usual before buying any tools. From the list I have found the names of some toolmakers that definitely make some very fine tools, I am trying very hard to make the right choices when buying any tools so I would appreciate any guidance regarding your favorite tools and the reason for choosing that particular maker.

These are some of the names I have heard you talking about, I am also looking for website and or contact information for them please feel free to add others that make fine quality tools.

Robert Beard

Vergez Blanchard

Bob Douglas

Barry King

Norm Lynds

Danny Marlin

Chuck Smith

Cheers,

Chris

Gomph/Hackbarth tools

Gore Tools

These are not as common these days.

Ron's tools for some nice hand tools.

Wow, I feel out of place... but here it goes. All my tools came from tandy except for one and it came from S-T leather. Nothing flashy here. :(

I have some of Craftools, Barry King, and Robert Beard. I use the RB bevelers most of the time, however I do use BK's bevelers when I need a steeper beveler for tight work as in Sheridan style tooling.

Steve

Wow, I feel out of place... but here it goes. All my tools came from tandy except for one and it came from S-T leather. Nothing flashy here. :(

Hi Larry,

I don't rule Tandy out as a source, but.....here we go....:) I lived in the States for 25 years and owned a small business. The way things are being outsourced makes it harder and harder for the small shop to survive.So without waxing political...in a nutshell where ever possible I try to support the "local" guy, hopefully this helps keep him or her around and in business, this also gets you a fine tool or product and I'm sure you will agree there is artistry and qc involved in custom work/toolmaking which is definitely lacking in High Volume Low Profit mass production.Other than that I work hard for my money and I'm really hoping to only buy once :)

Cheers,Chris :blahblahblah:

I have some of Craftools, Barry King, and Robert Beard. I use the RB bevelers most of the time, however I do use BK's bevelers when I need a steeper beveler for tight work as in Sheridan style tooling. Steve

Steve,

Do you have contact info and or a source for Robert Beard tools?

Cheers,Chris

Edited by ElNino

Robert Beard tools

Larry,

Whenever this subject comes up, I worry that people will feel like you do. Thing is, most of us started out with Craftools, and most of us probably still use mostly Craftools. I have some tools by Bob Beard, Barry King, and a few others, but the vast majority are Craftool. Just going out and spending a couple thousand dollars on some really high end tools isn't going to make you a great carver. Being a great carver takes practice and learning what you can do with the tools you have. If a tool wont do what you want it to do, sometimes a little work with a file can make a big difference. Some of the best carvers out there use only Craftools, some of them modified to work better. So, I hope that nobody feels like they cant be a good carver without the really expensive tools because that just isnt true. Use what you can afford and practice to do the best work you can with those.

Both Elnino and ClayB are correct. I own the tandy because thats what I started with and I could not afford the nicer tools. However Elnino is right about also supporting the small shops. USA forgot about the small business owners many years ago. The cost of the finer tools are well worth it. I have seen what the end results of better tools looks like and its impressive. Thank you both for good posts.

You gents are right on, I don't expect the tools to be the magic wand and man I hope I don't have to spend a couple of grand just yet :( I'll just be buying slowly along with my learning curve. I have just noticed a few references questioning the quality of the steel in some of their (Tandy) tools and having to ship everything over here I don't have the choice of touchy feely and returns will be a pita. I don't know enough to knock anybody I'm hear to listen and learn and I have found some incredible information here and as I said before I am in awe of the talent here.

Here's a list of some more toolmakers and their contact info. We have a few guys here that make their own tools, too.

Johanna

Here's a list of some more toolmakers and their contact info. We have a few guys here that make their own tools, too.

Johanna

Thanks for the list. I saved it on my hard drive for further reference. :)

Thanks for the list. I saved it on my hard drive for further reference. :)

Likewise, thanks Johana great reference list :)

I'll just put my .02 in. Talking with Peter Main, it was surprising to know he uses mostly Craftool. He rarely uses a beveler, mostly a modeling tool. He also said that he doesn't have a tool that he hasn't modified.

Just a thought. Peter makes fantastic carvings with craftool, so you can too. But as ClayB said it takes practice. Even perfect tools won't make you a good carver without practice. They may make the learning curve lower, but they won't replace practice.

For the best bang for the buck I think Barry King would fit the bill. Not that any of the others aren't good, just that for the budget minded hobbiest they meet the criteria.

Marlon

Marlon, you said a mouth full there. Most of us started out with Crafttools and for the new or beginning leather crafter it's the best way to go. That said, when you have learned to use your tools properly then you can move up to the custom tools. All the custom tool makers make some mighty fine tools and I have some from most of them along with a complete set of crafttools. At this time I use mostly Robert Beards' Pro Series tools most often but there are times that what I need for a project might require I use a Barry King or Crafttool. While the quality of Crafttools has dropped it's still the best deal for a biginner or when you need a tool for that one or two time use. When your skill and budget permit I suggest that you pick out the tools you use most often and replace those with the better quality tools even if it's just one tool at a time.

I had the opportunity to play with some McMillan tools last weekend. Really nice tools. Only problem is, I have no idea where to get them.

I had the opportunity to play with some McMillan tools last weekend. Really nice tools. Only problem is, I have no idea where to get them.

I must consider my self lucky to be the owner of 125 pcs of Craftools

Pre 1970.....

Yacklady the Mcmillan tools on e-bay are one arm and two legs.

i have several of them , and they are a quality product.

no i did not get them from e-bay, got them from and old Hippie...

i have a bunch of craft tools but, i am buying barry king tools as i can. i sure wish tandy would come up with some better tools and not rape ya for them. with the buying power they have. they could come out with a better line of tools at a good price similar to the line hide crafter has

i hear over and over that robert beard makes the best tools out there but, i will never be able to afford them and i will not wait 6,9,12 months for a tool! i can order anything barry makes and get it right away! i am waiting for my birthday $$$ at the moment to order some more of his tools. they are the best as far as i'm concerned. can't wait!!!!!!

Edited by beezachoppa

I wish I had started this while I was living in the States for many reasons, Hell I was living in NNJ 20 mmins away from CS Osborne. My financial situation is nowhere as liquid as it used to be in the States either. On the plus side you can find a nice Cortico in the mountains and live the "dulce vide" for not a lot of money. :)

Either way I'm not going to go rushing out and ordering a couple of grands worht of tools in one shot, this is going to be a very slow process and some "fork and spoon" tools that will just have to do. first I need to learn stitching and basic design so my first pieces are going to plain and undecorated, my first tools will be a Danny Marlin round knife, some Barry King Edge bevelers, a lacing fid from Bob Douglas and a few other odds and ends either from Tandy or Hidecraft, living in Spain means I need to establish a relationship with a supplier to hopefully ease some of the bumps in the road. I am looking at overstitch wheel sets and I am wondering how much difference in quality and performance there might be between say Tandy amd Jeremiiahs set at Horse Shoe Brand Tools.

It really is a drag that I can't visit the stores or attend shows and classes but such is life.

I would also like to get a Poundo board but I am also hoping that it is something I could source locally, what is it made of and does anybody have any suggestions.

I am impatiently waiting for my first Al Stohlman books which Tandy says they shipped early last week but USPS has no record that they actually picked them up (sigh)

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by ElNino

Norm has made many tools for me and can make to special order at a resonable price. Here is his contact information:

Norm Lynds, Toolmaker

Mallets, Modelers, embossing tools, lifters and others on request

Phone: (425) 357-1001

E-mail: sagerat2003@yahoo.com

Here are a few of the ones I own.

norm__s_tools.JPG

aDSC08747.JPG

Bob Stelmack

post-82-1203427213_thumb.jpg

post-82-1203428040_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Thanks, I can see that I am at the beginning of a very long road :)

Cheers,

Chris

Poundo boards

I wish I had started this while I was living in the States for many reasons, Hell I was living in NNJ 20 mmins away from CS Osborne. My financial situation is nowhere as liquid as it used to be in the States either. On the plus side you can find a nice Cortico in the mountains and live the "dulce vide" for not a lot of money. :)

Either way I'm not going to go rushing out and ordering a couple of grands worht of tools in one shot, this is going to be a very slow process and some "fork and spoon" tools that will just have to do. first I need to learn stitching and basic design so my first pieces are going to plain and undecorated, my first tools will be a Danny Marlin round knife, some Barry King Edge bevelers, a lacing fid from Bob Douglas and a few other odds and ends either from Tandy or Hidecraft, living in Spain means I need to establish a relationship with a supplier to hopefully ease some of the bumps in the road. I am looking at overstitch wheel sets and I am wondering how much difference in quality and performance there might be between say Tandy amd Jeremiiahs set at Horse Shoe Brand Tools.

It really is a drag that I can't visit the stores or attend shows and classes but such is life.

I would also like to get a Poundo board but I am also hoping that it is something I could source locally, what is it made of and does anybody have any suggestions.

I am impatiently waiting for my first Al Stohlman books which Tandy says they shipped early last week but USPS has no record that they actually picked them up (sigh)

Cheers,

Chris

Poundo board was used as a flooring in horse trailers at one time might look there

I have one Barry King beveler and a bunch of Craftools that are almost 40 years old. I use 1 or 2 bevelers for most of my stuff and the Crafttool ones carry most of the load. I made a beveler out of an old swivel knife blade and it works pretty well for small areas.

If somebody has a real need I would send them the BK beveler free of charge as I don't really use it that often.

Edited by bustedlifter