bran7347

Transparency Film?

So I was thinking, I use the regular tracing and vellum paper to transfer patterns for tooling, but I know there must be a better way, The paper always soaks up the moisture out of the leather and get soggy, and you can't see through it clearly. So I was thinking about the old projector film that teachers use to use before the age of computers. I was thinking you can run it through a laser copier/printer and boom you've got a pattern that is perfect forever. So I went over to Staples and they have it, about $50 bucks a pack though. So has anyone else thought of this and does it work as good as I think it would, or am I going to have to spend 50 to find out? Let me know....

Thanks Brandon

If you know someone who works at a printing plant which does "offset" printing, their printing plates are packed with acetate film in between, to protect the photo-sensitive coating. That is usually tossed when the plates are exposed, so they might be willing to let you have some free. The film is usually "frosty", and takes pencil marks quite well, and will last for quite a number of uses. Never tried photo-copying onto it, but believe it might work.

I got some at work and tried it it worked great can ues it over and over a least i have

i use overhead that is rough on one side that is the side i print on

David

I have been using it for a couple years. The only issue is only use a laser printer, an ink-jet will make a smeary mess.

Try looking at a different store, the price you said seems to be a lot higher than i remember paying.

Aaron

Spend the $20 and buy a roll of film from Tandy. Or, you can call Ron at Hidecrafters and buy their 20 pack sheets for $9 and you can stick it in your ink jet printer.

Good luck

So I was thinking, I use the regular tracing and vellum paper to transfer patterns for tooling, but I know there must be a better way, The paper always soaks up the moisture out of the leather and get soggy, and you can't see through it clearly. So I was thinking about the old projector film that teachers use to use before the age of computers. I was thinking you can run it through a laser copier/printer and boom you've got a pattern that is perfect forever. So I went over to Staples and they have it, about $50 bucks a pack though. So has anyone else thought of this and does it work as good as I think it would, or am I going to have to spend 50 to find out? Let me know....

Thanks Brandon

I just use regular paper or inkjet vellum covered with clear cellophane packing tape.

you can also trace onto paper and put the paper into a clear page protector, cheap at office depot, especially in bulk

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Thanks Brandon[/size]

Hi Brandon,

We had a discussion about this a while back... click here to see what I do.

A very simple way to use transparencies for pattern transfer is to print your design on the transparency with an ink jet printer, lay the printout face-down on dry leather, and rub the design into the leather with a modeling spoon. Wait about 15 minutes, then case your leather and carve.

When you're done transferring the image onto the leather, you can just wipe off the remaining ink with a soft cloth and re-use the transparency numerous times. I have one transparency I think I've re-used about 20 times so far. The fact that you can re-use the transparencies means one pack of them will last you a very long time.

I have been using it for a couple years. The only issue is only use a laser printer, an ink-jet will make a smeary mess.

Aaron, an ink-jet printout will make a smeary mess on wet leather, but on dry leather, it does a very nice job of reproducing the image, and you can re-use the sheet you printed on.

Thanks Brandon

Brandon,

Add me to the list of folks that use it. But only for patterns I will do more than once. Yes, it IS pricey. Also check Office Depot, even if online. I saw a pack for $33.00. The type I use is 3MCG600 and it works just fine. Again, I agree it IS pricey, but the ease of using it saves HOURS in tracing, the sheets ARE reuseable, and the overall convenience of it can't be beat. And as someone else said, one pack is gonna last you a LONG time.

P.S.: If you want a "cheap" way to get it . . . Xmas is comin' up. You might put that on your "wants" list. I'm a hard guy to buy presents for, and folks that do ask me what I'd like appreciate when I say "Here's a list of 5 different things I would like." (Usually it's leather stuff.) It sure makes easier shopping for them.

Good luck.

Harvey

Los Angeles

I have used the transparency film but I find that the ink does rub off. Plus, it doesn't work well on curved surfaces, like fork covers on the tree.

I use drafting mylar. I get the type with one side smooth. It is excellent for designing your pattern in pencil and then transferring to damp leather. I can tell immediately if the leather is ready for tracing if I see the moisture on the backside as I press the pencil or stylus on the mylar. It clear enough to see your guidelines, etc for lining it up too. Cost might be an issue as it is spendy but by far the best thing I've found for the job.

You can get it here: http://www.draftingsteals.com/info.html

Chuckle.. you too :thumbsup:

GMTA! Nice meeting you this weekend at KWCS!

I had a box of ink jet transparencies that had been lying around for years. Just tried today. Trace with ball point, not stylus. Stylus scratched the ink off more. Ballpoint did a little, but left a visible line.

Dunno the cost--this box is probably 5-6 yrs old now and barely used. But it is nicer than paper for things to reuse.

I also use drafting mylar. It is pricey, but if you check around online, I have found it very reasonable. I am fortunate enough in my real job to have access to the city engineers. They use computers now, so they have rolls of the stuff they dont use, and they let me have a roll.

It is nice stuff. Use your pencil on the rough side, then when your pattern is done, give it a quick spray of clear spray paint to keep it permanent.

This has worked for me for several years now, and I havent worn out a pattern yet.

DM

Aaron, an ink-jet printout will make a smeary mess on wet leather, but on dry leather, it does a very nice job of reproducing the image, and you can re-use the sheet you printed on.

Kate,

How do you deal with the ink on the leather as you are working with it? When you cut a line and you can see the edge of the ink line or when you wet the leather and the ink desolves and you slide your hand over it?

My experience with inkjets is the ink is water soluable and will desolve when it gets wet. I will try this and see how it goes, but I am leary (I will try on a practice piece). I will try finding this post again too, every since the update I figure things are lost if I do not find it in new posts (and have now figured out if I view them once they are gone from that area even when others post after my viewing).

Aaron

Aaron,

It does fade slightly when the water hits it, but it stays clear and visible plenty long enough (without smearing) to cut the design in. I've also found it helps to give the ink some sitting time (about 5-15 minutes or so) before putting the water on the leather. I'll post more photos when I have a chance.

Kate

What about visible ink at a later date? After the pattern has been carved? Does it lighten up where it is no longer visable, of do you have to try to rinse the color off the finished tooling?

By the time I'm done carving, I can't see any ink on my projects at all. I think for the most part it must get buried in the tooling, but it also fades away over time. Here are photos of ones I did before carving, then another after.

patternXfer07.jpg

patternXfer08.jpg

Kate

post-7-125875006193_thumb.jpg

post-7-125875010763_thumb.jpg

Think one of those Kodak AiO printers would work ?

I use Grafix brand "Computer Grafix" Acid free.....Clear- Ink Jet .....6 shts to a pack....print and put the clean side to the leather and trace with a ball-point pen that is used up....If I am not saving it I wipe it off with a wet paper towel....but do that as soon as possible...the longer the ink dries, harder to get off!!

Edited by Yona