biker55

Transfering Images Onto Leather

Hello all, when transfering images onto leather, is there a material stronger than tracing paper? should the leather be a little wet? I'm afraid of pushing down too hard but if I don't, I have a hard time seeing the image. thanks

Try tracing film for tracing and then transferring images. Tandy sells it in both rolls and 8.5x11sheets. It's considerably more durable than tracing paper. Wet the leather, let it dry just until natural color, and it will be ready for to be traced and worked.

Bill

Hi try baking paper

Its a lot thicker

thanks, will try both.

I create and print my patterns on my computer. My printer will not print on tracing film, but it will print on tracing vellum. Tracing or drafting vellum is much more resilient than plain tracing paper.

http://www.amazon.com/Clearprint-Design-Vellum-Pad-1000HP/dp/B0024I7M8E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409598484&sr=8-2&keywords=drafting+vellum

Michelle

I do use tracing paper but use clear packing tape after tracing, works well for me.

Pretty much any office supply store sells those transparency sheets that used to be used for overhead projection. The modern versions can even be printed on with either an InkJet or Laser printer if you have the patterns on a computer. Either way, these sheets are much thicker than any of the tracing papers, films or even vellum and can be used several times over. This is what I use and to ensure that the film has a longer life span I use an old fine point ballpoint pen that has long been empty of ink as my stylus. This gives much more control over the flow of the lines and also gives you a more comfortable feeling when using it which prevents the fear of applying too much pressure when tracing over a line. Been doing it this way for over 20 years and haven't had any issues with it yet.

I usually print them on standard printer paper then cover it in scotch tape..loads more durable and don't need to worry about pressing to hard or tearing the paper.

print on reg paper then cover with clear cabinet vinyl unless design is very large then free hand draw and clean up art then cover with vinyl....

It is a little pricey, . . . but at Office Depot you can get this:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/617993/Apollo-Plain-Paper-Copier-Transparency-Film/

You can draw on it, . . . print on it with a computer printer, . . . and you will never make enough leather goods to wear out the plastic.

It's good for tooling patterns and for actual "outline" patterns for holsters, purses, etc.

May God bless,

Dwight

When I draw patterns I usually use vellum paper. It doesn't smear and rub off on my hand while I'm drawing which is the problem with drawing on tracing film. Then I trace the pattern onto tracing film. Yes, it's double the effort, but I've found it to be time well spent. First, of course, the tracing film is more durable and can be used again. It is also much easier to orient onto the leather because I can see through it. But the most valuable thing I've found is that I always end up making little changes which improve the pattern when I'm tracing the pattern onto film. I always wonder why I didn't identify those problems when I was drawing. Maybe I get so focused on little details that I miss the "forest for the trees", but I almost always find things I want to fix and that is enough of a reason by itself for me to continue the practice. I also tape my pattern onto the leather. I try to insure that the pattern doesn't move while I'm tracing. I also make a point to trace the pattern onto the leather as perfectly as possible. For me, it's just as important to get the pattern transfered on correctly as it is to cut it correctly and one definitely begets the other.

Hope this helps!

Bobby

I have tried using tape to hold a pattern on leather, but I often get a residue left on the leather. I've tried scotch tape, magic tape, blue and green masking tape but always have something left on the leather. I've tried folding the pattern over the edge and taping on the flesh side and that has left the back side with a little leather or at least some fibers. Holding it down with my other hand sometime works well, but sometimes, especially as I learn, a little tape would be helpful. Is there a special leather tape I haven't heard of yet?

Thanks!

I always mount my tooling piece onto a piece of 1/4" acrylic (plexiglass) to control stretch. I know that I'm going to line the project so I don't care about the glue residue on the back. When I tape my pattern on, I tape it to the plexiglass. My patterns are drawn on film which fits the size of the project and I have on occasion, just used blue tape over the edges of the leather (when I'm not using plexiglass.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

"...I usually use vellum paper. It doesn't smear and rub off on my hand while I'm drawing which is the problem with drawing on tracing film..."

There is a special kind of pencil for drawing on mylar film, not graphite based, which doesn't smear when you're using it. Not certain if it is still being manufactured, but it does a good job on translucent mylar.

I have a few left from a previous life as a draftsman, called Berol Filmograph pencils, and there appear to be some people selling them in eBay and Etsy and places like that.