JohnD

Adler 48-7 Or Singer 29-4

I was hoping to get some input on some machines that have been offered to me. An Adler 48-7AU and a Singer 29-4. Both machines are removed from the tables (though the tables are included ) and the motors, pedals and linkage etc. are in boxes. The guy said they both worked and he only took them apart for storage and his son used the tables for work benches for a screen printing business. He is asking $200. a piece for them.

I make mostly motorcycle seats, wallets and belts. I would be using the machines for leather no heavier than 2-3 layers of 2-4 oz veg tan. I am wondering if either of these machines would suit my purpose, I've done some searching but couldn' find very much info on the Adler, a little more on the Singer, but not much on the availability of parts as these machines will need some work to be reassembled and put back to working order.

I would appreciate any info on either of these, Thanks for any info.

Just a short statement as I´m on the run...

The Adler 48 is pretty much the same machines as the Singer 17. Maybe this helps for finding some more information. I think both are not the ideal machine for the job. You should probably look for Consew 227 oder Techsew 2700 or Cowboy / Cobra equivalent. They are all the same type of machine

Just to give you an idea:

http://raphaelsewing.com/blog/?p=78

Have to run - sorry...

Hello John. The Singer will be easier to get parts for if and when you need them. You may be able to sew wallets and belts, but may not work too well on your motorcycle seats. Steve

The Singer 29-4 uses one of the smallest bobbins in the history of sewing machines. It has about half the capacity of a standard home Class 15 bobbin, as used in the 15-91 class machines. Further, the machine is not built to handle heavy thread. You will be pretty much limited to using #69 bonded thread. While one or two bobbin loads may sew a saddle type motorcycle seat, it will not be as strong a seam as is usually required, especially if the rider is extra heavy.

You really need a (cylinder arm) walking foot machine capable of handling #138 bonded thread, top and bottom, for the strength to hold up to rider weight and the elements (for motorcycle seats). Many come with a 1" diameter x 5/16"+ bobbin (M) that can hold enough #138 thread to sew at least a half dozen single seats. Or, consider a 441 clone, which has a huge cylindrical bobbin and can probably sew about 20 to 30 seats per load.

Thanks for the replies. Although I'm gonna pass on the machines, I'll make some notes with the info you have given in case I decide to seriously pursue getting a machine. The only reason Iwas considering these was because they came up and I thought the price was good. I think they needed a little too much "TLC" as well as not being suited for what I would want them for. Thanks again for the great info.

OTOH a 29 is something you will want at some stage......