MonicaJacobson

Alternative To Austin Leather

I'm in a bit of a fix. I made this bag in Austin leather, and now I want to move away from using Tandy leather. Don't get me wrong, Tandy was awesome and I wouldn't have been able to get started without it, but at $14.60 per square foot, I could do better buying Horween from Tannery Row.

However, a lot of people really like the textured look. So what kind of leather could I use that would be a good stand-in, but good quality?

I saw that Springfield has Waterbuffalo, some of it done Crazy Horse style, but I don't know how waterbuffalo wears, or anything about the Crazy Horse stuff.

Thanks,

Monica

post-38542-0-98227900-1414613396_thumb.j

try springfield leather or maverick leather....

I thought Maverick Leather was relocating out of the country.

ThoroughBred Leather

http://www.sheridanleather.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1829

Thanks biglew - I bought some very nice Horween Dublin from Springfield, and I've been trying to get up the gumption to buy from Maverick. I hope they're not leaving the country...

@Red Cent - Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm going to try some Bridle Leather from Wicket & Craig, but that's still a smooth leather. Maybe it won't matter, and no one will ask for a more textured look once I've made a few things with nicer leathers.

I have a hard time believing Maverick is moving out of the country. It would make no sense at all to do something like that.

I've ordered from Maverick numerous times. They are AWESOME to work with. Their customer service is top notch.

Having said that...there are some drawbacks. Most of the stuff they have is seconds. You will get sides with bad areas or stains or some loose break etc...They are usually really good about taking photos of the bad area so you have an idea of what you are getting into.

Having said that...I have got some stuff from them that didn't look like a second at all. It looked FANTASTIC. But it is hit or miss.

Also, it is pretty rare for them to have really big lots of the same leather that hang around for a long time. So if you find a leather you love it would be unlikely that you could order it over and over again.

Edited by Hi Im Joe

Okay, I wondered about that. I wasn't sure they'd have the time to pay such close attention to each hide. I thought it'd be more like, "throw it in the box, out it goes." And whenever I looked at the webpage, everything was so dauntingly varied, textured, lined, and mottled. I guess that means you're getting a real picture. There's nothing more frustrating than a tiny, generic color when you're trying to see what a hide is like. So... cool. I'll definitely try to order some Horween from them. I had resigned myself to picking up whatever Springfield had and hoping for the best.

I think you should definitely try out Maverick. Also, a great positive is as long as you don't cut into the side they will take it back. You have to pay return shipping but being able to return it is quite nice.

Most of the time the picture is not the exact side you are getting but sometimes it is. They try to list the actual price of the side if they only have one.

Okay, that's awesome. I do like the hide from the last roll top bag you made. It was intentionally rough looking in a cool way.

Yeah, I get you. It's a picture of a hide from a general batch, and that's better than a picture of a 2 inch square bit of hide.

A lot of the stuff I've made is leather from Maverick. That roll top bag was dark cognac essex.

Here is something Maverick has that I think would be pretty similar:

http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/horween/horween-seconds/marbled-cognac-essex/

or

http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/horween/owners-specials/double-fudge-tumbled-essex/

The tumbled essex is awesome stuff. Really any of the Horween veg tan tumbled leathers are great for making bags.

Oh yeah, that cognac essex looks beautiful. I should probably call them - I really like 8-10 oz chrome tanned leathers because they're soft, yet they still hold their shape. Most things I saw were 5-6 oz, which was another thing that put me off. However, I'm sure there's something Horween sells that is that thick. If not, I'll just start lining things.

Not an Austin Alternative but just something to think about.

If you are paying $14.60 sq.ft for Austin Leather that must mean you are not getting the Elite Pricing. Elite pricing is $124.00 that would be about $9.5 sq.ft. (The shoulder I got was 12.9 sq.ft.) Every couple of months, they drop it to $99 each for everyone so you have to watch for it and when it goes on sale grab a few sides. (I usually find out about it being on sale from being on their email list) Also, you can get the Elite Membership free by providing them a copy of your EIN number which you can get online free and print out within minutes. Take it to Tandy and boom you get the Elite pricing. I am an Elite member and that is how I got mine.

The Austin shoulder is 8 to 9 oz and has like a pebble grain to it, and so far all the suggestions noted above have either been 4 to 5 oz or have a smooth finish so I just a thought I would put this out there just in case you really want to stick with the Austin.

Karina

@plowboy - I don't suppose I could convince you to take a picture? The picture on Springfield looks like it's generic. What happens when you scratch it? Does it rub out, blend in, or what?

@Karina - I dare say you go to the same Tandy I do. Heh. Thank you for the EIN number tip - I've been paying $35.00 a year to get the mid grade pricing. My best price for Austin has always been $110 on sale. However, there hasn't been a sale in a while. Fortunately, I have convinced my extremely kindly customer to let me use Bridle leather instead.

As for sticking with Austin, I'm trying to up my prices, because I'm getting as much business as I can handle in my two-hour-a-day work segments. But I don't feel like I can up my prices without upping the quality of leather. I love Austin, but it does tend to scratch, and once it does, the only thing you can hope for is for it to get all scratched up so it blends in. (Also, it must be admitted, I'm getting really tired of making the same bag with the same leather.)

@Joe - Thanks, they even have some thicker chromexel! Granted, it looks a little rough, but the W&C Bridle looks gorgeous. I'm getting some, as soon as I sell another bag and am in cash again. For a week.

@Karina - I dare say you go to the same Tandy I do. Heh. Thank you for the EIN number tip - I've been paying $35.00 a year to get the mid grade pricing. My best price for Austin has always been $110 on sale. However, there hasn't been a sale in a while. Fortunately, I have convinced my extremely kindly customer to let me use Bridle leather instead.

I am in Fayetteville and although the Lithia Springs store is closer, I feel the Tandy in Norcorss gets the better leather. (Could be that my mind is just playing tricks on me with this thinking :) )

I just got in a side of bridle leather last week, that's some good stuff, I am sure your customer will love it.

Karina

No, you're definitely right. Also, the manager of the Norcross Tandy will put damaged or dirty hides on sale, which is a great deal more reasonable than expecting you to pay full price for a damaged hide. I think he acts with more freedom because he's been in the business for a while. The Lithia Springs manager is very nice, too, but his employees don't really know much about leather, yet.

I'm exactly in the middle between the two.

Monica,I only have my phone camera and it takes horrible pictures. I can try it later today. Scratches rub out and blend in when i went to the store last week every piece i looked at was nice. Honestly it looks a lot better than the picture.The belts I made 5 months ago look great still.

Edited by plowboy73

Thank you for letting me badger you - I've been wanting to try it for two months, but I couldn't afford to shell out for it (even though it's not super expensive) without some confirmation from someone.

LOL, thanks, that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said. I think I've been able to get it fairly clean because I started using pre-dyed leathers, and my construction is very uncomplicated. We'll see if I can transfer the clean look to something a little harder in the future.

I have used Maverick for a couple of pieces. I have found they have great customer service and are very honest about the flaws a piece may have. I bought one piece from their closeouts which was exactly as described on the phone, a piece in the middle was very damaged but the price reflected that. I bought Horween Austin and it was very good. I just received some strips and they look to be great as well. I have even bought two double shoulders veg tan that they sell (not Horween) and they are nice too.

My advice is call them, ask plenty of questions if you have them, and you can even make recommendations. For example, I needed 50 in. in length for strap so I asked about two pieces of leather, and they led me through the options and even searched for a piece that was the right length and less flaws.

Best of luck!

Horweens has a large selection of leathers over 20+ of leathers beside the chromexcel, cavalier, essex. The good thing about horween chromexcel is that they are in marketing an "ingredient brand", something people will understand the quality of the materials just by the name. Ex. Togo, clemence, berenia, zeiss lenses, gore-tex

charles hardtke In the USA sells a nice selection of pebbled bison that would look good for a rustic and rugged bag.

They also sell smooth calf skin, box calf and crocodile leathers. Prices I was quoted for the calf skin was around 9 for regular and 11 for premium.

@jqtoms - Thank you, I appreciate the ideas. Now I just need time to finish off the leather I have so I can order some!

@David - I agree, I would love to use only Horween. But unfortunately, I have to stagger my buying and selling, which makes it hard to invest in a $300.00 hide. Maybe in a year, once I've made a range of bags in more expensive leathers. I'd also love to use crocodile. I'd especially like to use it for bags that look less overtly handbaggish.

I assume calf skin is too thin for what I like to make, but I haven't researched it.

Thanks, AP. I'll have to see if I can find larger pictures of that stuff. It looks cool.