citrusvanilla

Machined/fabricated Parts For A Prototype Needed- Advice And/or Services?

What's up guys-

I'm in the middle of designing a prototype and I have come to a point where it is not possible to proceed without certain machined parts being made. I have never approached someone to machine parts for me, and I am looking for services to complete the request. I have complete detailed plans and specs available to share, that I am attaching here.

post-39972-0-24421300-1382622816_thumb.j

There are three components of the part- a metal piece about 1x1x1'' that I believe will be constructed from sheet metal, a flat wood piece that should by stained plywood, and screw posts for holding the leather. None of these parts I would assume would be available.

I am of course willing to pay for the services rendered. Any ideas guys? Feel free to pass my gmail email along (citrusvanilla@)

Justin, Rockaway Beach, New York

I would look for a facility that does 3D printing. They are capable of duplicating almost anything from a drawing. Since you are in NYC there shouldn't be any problem finding a place.

ed, thanks- not a bad idea at all. i'm looking into it.

at some point id like to get real metal and wood components though, are there like large vendors that do this thing or should i find a mom and pop outfit around me?

The first thing I thought of when I saw your drawing are handles for large speaker cabinets. Check these out and try to find something similar with a replaceable strap. Shouldn't be any need to reinvent the wheel.

Looks pretty basic construction wise. The brass part could be done with brass tubing cut to length. The screw part may already be available, but you will need to do some searching .

As to getting these parts made,,,a lot will depend on quantity. If you want 20 it will be best to find a small job shop like I used to run. If you want 100's , or more, a bigger shop with automatics will be better. The shop I work for now could do the screws.

If you don't mind saying, what is the application?