greyhawk

How To Make A New Saddle Look Old.

Hi i have a newish made saddle which i was gifted and i want to try and make look old/worn /weather and well used can anyone help with some advice please also i want to try and make the colour less chocolate brown any advice would be much appreciated as i', a newbie in this , i'm from England thanks

post-55192-0-36517300-1410697302_thumb.j

post-55192-0-10332600-1410697308_thumb.j

Also is it possible to add more tooling to the saddle?

The best way to add tooling is to buy a different saddle. As to aging, depends on how aggressive you want to be. Wire brush, sandpaper, sunlight. Anything agressive will age it. You are trying to do 20 years of use in a few hours, so look at what would wear any concentrate on those spots.

Thanks Electrathon for the advice which spots would you recommend i concentrate o also is there away to make the saddle darker in places without using dyes? or making the colour warmer less dull and flat. Don't get much sun over here this time of year . Thanks

I would look at another saddle and try to emulate the wear on it. As to changing the color it is difficult to say what finishes are on it so even with dyes it is an unknown what will happen.

Thanks again for the advice electrathon , so do you think the saddle looks ok to you with out attempting to do any ageing as i appreciate your expert opinion.

In the movie industry when they want to age leather products, they beat the *&%^$* out of it. Really! Adding scuffs, rub marks, folds, whacking it in a few places with a chain or rough wooden board...pretty much anything to give it that battered and well-worn look. As for changing the color to make it more 'patchy' in appearance, splatter tea, coffee, even diluted blood in key areas and wipe it off. Be sure to reseal any 'damaged' areas before they turn into actual damage.

Thanks Airth i was thinking on that line myself if i can pluck up the courage to do so.

Why don't you just sell, or give it away and go buy an old, beatup, ugly saddle?

I have a saddle of the same style, made back in the 30's. Are you going to use it or is it for decoration?

I'm going to use it do you have any photos of your saddle Spartan?

You saying my saddle is ugly Iranger? i would sell it if i could have you seen the price of old beat up saddles?

No,,,,, not at all. It looks like a pretty nice saddle in the pics. I just don't understand why you'd want to take a saddle in nice condition and make it into poor condition. So, I would think you'd be money ahead to sell it and buy a cheap, old, worn saddle, which is what you said you wanted to do to this one.

Of course it's your saddle. You can do whatever you want to do with it.

No offense meant. I just don't understand. Never mind.

Greyhawk, . . . I'm sending you a couple pics of my saddle, . . . and yes, . . . I've ridden in it, . . . and I love it.

Bought it out of a pawn shop in Denver, Colorado.

It has seen a lot of better days, . . . but it may give you some ideas if you look at it closely, . . . colors, textures, worn spots, etc.

As for stamping it "after the fact", . . . it was commonly done years ago, . . . cowboys with home made stamps (from 20 penny nails and a file), . . . used a small hammer, stamp, and a piece of firewood from what I've been led to believe.

Mine has that appearance, . . . plenty of places there are stamps that the original maker just did not do.

Just remember, . . . it IS, . . . YOUR, . . . saddle, . . . treat it like YOU want to. I had planned to refurbish this old relic when I first got it, . . . wound up making a few changes to make sure it was sound enough to ride with, . . . and will do some cosmetic things later on, . . . but for now, . . . it is the entrance hall highlight of my leather shop, . . . and I like it.

Not meaning to disparage your saddle, . . . but I would not trade with you, . . . I like mine so well. You can make yours to the place YOU like it too.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-19445700-1412819351_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-16173900-1412819370_thumb.jp

Well dwight all i got to say Fantastic saddle love it and i don't blame you i woudn't trade it niether niether but i do envy your lucky man hope you get years or riding out of it. . Love the colour Brilliant .Also thanks for the advice and info.

http://brushwestwatercolours.moonfruit.com/#

http://dukefanclub.weebly.com/blog/introducing-graham-leggett-western-artist-extraordinaire

Edited by greyhawk

lranger know offence taking just a sore spot i just not happy with the newness and colour just wanted to take the newness off and slightly change the flat colour thats all would love any advice on this .Thanks for the reply.

ive been able to darker leather by using neetsfoot oil rubbed in vigorously. if you use a dull piece of wood to "press" on certain areas that you've applied the oil, it will darken that area appreciably.

Thanks for the tip Ramrod will have a go!

The best way to make a saddle look old and used is to use it......a lot.

Edited by ChriJ