aaron61032

Safety Of Leather Products For Pets

I am pretty unfamiliar with the tanning process but is it safe to use leather for making dog toys? If so what kinds should I stay away from? Worried mainly about chemicals from the tanning process being poisonous.

If supervised, it is usually okay.

Right or wrong, I'm dead set against chrome-tanned leather for humans and animals. The process uses chromium salts and Calif. considers it a carcenogen. Wikipedia says that it's environmentally unfriendly.

The second and, equally important reason I won't use it is that the chromium salts destroy the cell structure, thus giving it that "buttery soft" feel. That's all well and good if you don't believe the toxic stuff and are making non-strength dependent stuff, but I'm not going to trust a leash made of the stuff on my 110 lb protection trained German Shepherds and in fact I won't make anything for sale to other dog owners.

Those are just my opinions. I've done a whole bunch of research on it and it all points to a bad deal.

Are there any alternatives to chrome tanned latigo that are strong enough for a dog?

You can find the same thicknesses in veg tan that should be plenty strong for any dog. If I had a mastiff or similar breed I might look for leather that was around 1/4" - 3/8" thick, or sew two pieces back to back.

Latigo is not any stronger than veg tan. Latigo is known for it's ability to stand up to harsh weather. That's all. Properly cared for veg tan will do the same.

I use anywhere from 8-10 oz leather for collars and leashes. Most of my work goes to owners and handlers of the bully, mastif, gsd and mali breeds. All working lines.

Hi Aaron & Spence, Thanks for bringing this subject up. I didn't realize the chemicals were that harsh and considered carcinogenic. I haven't seen any veg tanned leather at Tandy that I would use for the collars - I was using this when I first started making them and since I put one on a big dobie at a rescue - it killed my whole idea of even thinking of using this leather. The collar looks like it's been though the mill and it was only a week from the time I put it on him, until I saw him again. The rescue is outdoors.

I'll have to do a little research on this. I'm not a fan of anything carcinogenic, so this may put a new twist on something I'm already worried about!