zaynexpetty

Where To Get Custom Made Circle Punch?

Does anyone know where I can get a custom circle punch made? I would like one for cutting out circles in 8/9 oz leather for some coasters I'm making. I need a pretty specific size (4 1/8"), which is why I would probably need one custom made. I tried cutting one out by tracing a circle with a stencil I made, then cutting and sanding, but it took way too long to just do one coaster, let alone a whole set of coasters.

I also don't want to spend a lot of money, so I am not opposed to tackling making one myself, I just wouldn't know where to start. I could use some kind of pipe, but I doubt Id be able to find something with that exact diameter.

Thanks,

Zayne

I use a circle cutter for making gaskets to cut circles works well.

Zayne, . . . contact Weaver Leather in Berlin, Ohio, . . . they can make you one, . . . it's called a clicker die, . . .

If they are too expensive for your budget, . . . a piece of galvanized, . . . 4 inch electrical conduit will be 4.026 inside diameter, . . . and if you sharpen it so that it is the outside edge that is sharp, . . . it should be very close to your 4 1/8 inch need.

Just look up an electrical contractor in your area, . . . we literally used to throw away pieces of that stuff after a job. You couldn't keep the stubs, . . . they just got in the way, . . . and were always 3 inches too short for the next job if you did keep them.

For my work on something like that, . . . I would lay down the leather, . . . flesh side up, . . . use an ink pen to outline my pattern, . . . rough cut them with a razor knife, . . . then take them to my sander, . . . and finish "rounding em out" on the sander, . . . flip em over so they are hair side up, . . . run an edger around the top, . . . done, fini, complete.

And with my little $50 belt sander, . . . I'm no more than maybe 30 seconds on each one, . . . rounding em out, . . . another 30 seconds on marking and cutting, . . . maybe a full minute on edging them, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Any machine shop worth beans should be able to make you one in half an hour. Pay a little extra to have it made in 4140 steel and you'll have it for life.

Zayne, . . . contact Weaver Leather in Berlin, Ohio, . . . they can make you one, . . . it's called a clicker die, . . .

If they are too expensive for your budget, . . . a piece of galvanized, . . . 4 inch electrical conduit will be 4.026 inside diameter, . . . and if you sharpen it so that it is the outside edge that is sharp, . . . it should be very close to your 4 1/8 inch need.

Just look up an electrical contractor in your area, . . . we literally used to throw away pieces of that stuff after a job. You couldn't keep the stubs, . . . they just got in the way, . . . and were always 3 inches too short for the next job if you did keep them.

For my work on something like that, . . . I would lay down the leather, . . . flesh side up, . . . use an ink pen to outline my pattern, . . . rough cut them with a razor knife, . . . then take them to my sander, . . . and finish "rounding em out" on the sander, . . . flip em over so they are hair side up, . . . run an edger around the top, . . . done, fini, complete.

And with my little $50 belt sander, . . . I'm no more than maybe 30 seconds on each one, . . . rounding em out, . . . another 30 seconds on marking and cutting, . . . maybe a full minute on edging them, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I like that idea with the conduit. That just might work, I actually know someone that might be able to get some for me. Thanks!

texas custom die......

Another vote for Texas Custom Dies. No vote for Weaver. I had a custom belt slot punch made by Weaver, over charged on the price versus the quote, and it arrived so dull it was useless. I moved my business to TCD and they are top quality.

Any machine shop worth beans should be able to make you one in half an hour. Pay a little extra to have it made in 4140 steel and you'll have it for life.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use a circle cutter for making gaskets to cut circles works well.

texas custom die......

I agree with this, but that would cost you $40 plus shipping (roughly). I do love TCD though

Another vote for Texas Custom Dies. No vote for Weaver. I had a custom belt slot punch made by Weaver, over charged on the price versus the quote, and it arrived so dull it was useless. I moved my business to TCD and they are top quality.

Just wanted to let you all know that I purchased the Ev-R-Round circle cutter by Lion. It seemed like the easiest, cheapest route. If anyone is curious how well these cut circles, (up to 1/4" thick, without a center hole, I might add) I will post an update as soon as I get it, which should be next Friday.

Heres the link to the website I bought it from:

http://www.misterart.com/tools/paper-trimmers/lion-ev-r-round-circle-cutter.html

I got the circle cutter and a pack of 40 refill blades for $40.

I have been told by another helpful user (LNLeather) that it works well for cutting circles in leather.

If it turns out that the Ev-R-Round doesn't fit my needs, I will definitely give Texas Custom Dies a shot, thanks!

Zayne

Edited by zaynexpetty

I have had great experiences with Texas Custom Dies as well, definitely recommended. You can get a single die, or even a "gang die" if you want. Gang dies have multiple cutting dies welded together in frame. This way you can get multiple pieces per click (unless you have your own clicker machine, most places will charge you by the click or by the hour). Best scenario is to have a gang die as well as a single, that way you can get a greater number of pieces per click and use the single for perimeter area of leather where the gang die doesn't fit.

Brettuns Village Leather