Sign in to follow this  
rmcelrath

Cutting/carving Question

I am new a this. I bought a beginner kit with the carving knife and 5 basic tools. Doing OK so far, nothing fancy but I know my limitations and I'm happy with my progress so far.

I want to put a number on the leather, not using number stamps. But I don't think I can use the carving knife I bought to cut the small detail for the numbers. Can I use a smaller hobby knife to make these detailed cuts, then start beveling, etc?

Thanks in advance.

R. McElrath

You can use anything that will work just be careful. Whatever modified method you use, be sure that your leather is cased well and your cuts are at least 1/2 through. If you use a small and thin blade just be mindful that you may not be able to bevel very well especially if you are new at this craft. I would highly suggest that you attempt your quest on a piece of scrap first!

Good luck.

You can, but you may not get the results you desire. How small with your numbers be?

swivel knives have a thicker blade designed to lay the leather open for easier beveling. a hobby knife cut will be very thin, and tend to close up, making beveling a little more difficult.

with lots of practice, you will be surprised how small you can make numbers and letters with a good sharp swivel knife blade.

good luck,

ken

Makes sense, looking at the blade on the carving knife. I used a thinner blade to curt some detail on part of the wallet, and I understand about getting close enough to bevel next to it. Just need to practice.

Thanks again.

rlm

I use a filigree blade in my swivel knife for small tight areas. It has a smaller,angled blade that works well for me.

Plus, also, did you catch that part about" practice" That's how you get to Carnegie Hall. Make mistakes, think about it, throw the mistake away and try again.

Makes sense, looking at the blade on the carving knife. I used a thinner blade to curt some detail on part of the wallet, and I understand about getting close enough to bevel next to it. Just need to practice.

Thanks again.

rlm