niterdr

Just Finished My Stitching Horse

Got frustrated without one so I had to build me a stitching horse, I used 5 oz milled veg tan for the jaws, Oak for the upper and poplar for the base (Less chance of splinters) Please let me know your comments!

post-51689-0-37156400-1425403702_thumb.j

post-51689-0-59952300-1425403705_thumb.j

post-51689-0-47720500-1425403709_thumb.j

Both Lee Valley and Rockler Woodworking Tools have the cam levers. They come in 2 sized 1/4" and 5/16" I found the 1/4" too small for this.

Alex

Edited by niterdr

Looks nice .... give us a review after you have used it for a while :)

One suggestion I might make is to add an "alternate" set of holes lower down on the uprights. That way you could move the cam lock down to allow longer pieces into the jaws. I made one with the bolt at the same height as yours and found that I needed to lower it for some projects. Love how you softened all of the edges!

That looks good. You will get frustrated catching your thread on the lever for awhile until you get used to it, then you won't really notice it. The cam lever looks better than my bolt with a wing nut. Good job.

David

After using this I am going to make holes lower as suggested. Rounding the edges was real easy with the new sanding sponges on the market, they conform easily to round off edges.

I have already started on another set of uprights with smaller (height) jaws as some of the cases and sheaths I make have very little room to hold on to. The new jaws will be 1/2" x 3 - 4 1/2" narrow enough that they won't interfere with a belt loop or clip. Will post pic's soon.

Alex

I like the heck out of it...Nice clean lines with a hidden hinge and a sweet lever lock...Very Kool!!!

Nice thing is, if you move the lever lower, your leg should keep the thread from catching.

Just as an added idea, a scrap piece of leather used as a flap over the cam

might detour thread or lace from hanging on it. by; simply falling away ?

just a thought ! Your workmanship is very re-fined. ---- Wild Bill46

Thank You Very Much for the compliments. I am going to take the advise and see where it goes for me.

Alex

I am only an occasional leather worker but I have never had the thread catch on the cam lock nut that I used on the stitching pony which I built. It seemed less likely to cause such problems than the wing nut option.

post-34211-0-89230700-1426427359_thumb.j

Very nice! I especially like the cam lever. I struggled with a knob until I swapped it for a Rockler cam lever. Quick and smooth operation and it does not catch the thread.

One thought along the lines of using your pony for smaller items. You would be better able to grasp smaller items if the angles on the tip of the jaws were sharper. Also, thinner leather would conform better to the sharper jaws, allowing your to get in closer to those pesky small items.

Thanks for sharing,

Michelle