Sign in to follow this  
rustyriggin

Bona Allen tooling pattern

IMG00270_1_.jpgI am going to try and restore a Bona Allen Saddle, and I have to recreate some of the tooling on the rear jockys and the stirrup fenders, and was wondering if someone has this pattern in a line drawing or can help me with the computer end of doing it. I know nothing about computer stuff, so I don't know where to start. I'm sure some of you saddle makers have something similar stashed away, it don't have to be exact, but the pattern is on the seat jockys so the closer the better. Thanks in advance, Rus

post-6578-1245200573_thumb.jpg

Hi Rusty,

I think what you're wanting isn't too difficult in this case. I kind of think that you could take some very thin paper of some sort, and hold it down against the leather, and go over it with a soft lead pencil. I think that you'll end up with a pattern that you can trace. You shouldn't have to worry about the basketweave. Just the leaves. I'm pretty sure it will work...

Happy tracing! :)

Kevin

do a rubbing with carbon paper or charcoal and trace the outlines.

pete

Thanks Kevin & Pete, I tried that, but didn't get much, I will try some lighter paper, or maybe find a leaf pattern thats pretty close and just work from there.

Rusty,

I used to copy patterns like that a lot! Still do from time to time. If you lay piece of medium/heavy paper (a paper sack works good) over the tooling, and then with a #2 pencil laid flat, just brush the lead back and forth and the lines of the pattern will emerge. Then you can trace it!

Bob

I have made patterens from older carved stuff before. When the piece is small enough to put in a copier just make a copy of it then lay the tracing film over the copy and transfer the image. It looks like this fender will fit under most copiers.

Good luck

Randy

Thanks, Bob, and Randy, I will try your ideas. I did try to copy a piece similar but I think I had the copier on the wrong setting, cause it was too dark to make out. I think I had it on black and white, instead of color.

I tried to trace the pattern in the computer from your picture, but it was just too fuzzy. If you can take a sharper picture it would help.

Dave T.