builderofstuff

Making Delrin Stamps

I have a CNC mill in my shop and a good bit of delrin scraps. Anyone have any suggestions or advice about making stamps from delrin? Ive wanted to try making some for ages.

Chris

As long as you're going to be milling everything, I would suggest starting with thicker stock and including a boss to attach to the standard stamp handles (the kind that come with letter sets). Other than that, if you're wanting to make larger stamps, it would be a simple-ish task of setting up your vectoring program to cut out the negative space leaving the parts you want embossed on the leather. Stamps like this would almost certainly require a press of some sort to use, so keep in mind the types of pressures that presses and mini-presses (like an arbor press) can exert, and build the stamps with enough material thickness to withstand multiple uses.

Most of the delrin I have laying around is between 1/2" and 1" thick. I figured I'd reinforce them with some metal. I usually use my arbor press for doing all of my 3d stamps. One of the things that has been an issue in the past for me is that the smallest endmill I have is 1/32". But some designs that I have wanted to do are still to tiny in areas to do with the 1/32" endmill. I guess the obvious answer there is to just design things that can be done with what I have, or possibly hand cut in some fine details if needed.

This isn't something that I'm looking to do for others, just something that I thought would be fun to do, and it would be nice to have some unique stamps.

Chris

One of the best aspects of this craft is that there are very few 'hard' rules...and making your own stamps is part of it! Since you are limited by tool selection, I suggest seeing if there's anywhere local that does laser table work. You might be able to trade out some milling time for laser time? Use your machine to make the rough stamp sizes and all the hogging, then mount in a laser table for the detail work.

Well I'm not that serious about making stamps, I just thought it would be fun to make some for the fun of it. I don't think we have any companies around here that even have a laser, I'm not sure some folks around here could spell laser to be honest. Lol I think what I should do is just make some simple geometric type stamps to start with. Just keep it simple to start with.

Chris