bylinesupplyco

Setting Copper Rivets

I have been having some trouble with setting copper rivets. I love the things, however they always look terrible when I do them. The leather gets marked after using the setting and the doming tool, and doesn't look professional in the least.

Any tips on this?

I've had the exact same result...here's what I did to fix it:

Make sure your leather is *dry*, as any contact with the setting/doming tool will leave marks. I tap the washer piece down until it's just snug, then continue with light taps while rotating the tool; this seats it evenly all the way around. I use small bolt cutters to chop off the remaining rivet to about 1/8" sticking up, then a small ball peen hammer to mushroom it over. This part can be tedious as you don't want to hit the leather...only the rivet. Once set, I switch to the dome end of the tool, rotating and wiggling it around while tapping it to even out the hammer marks.

I hope that helps!

Bylinesupplyco,Do you have a picture of a rivet you have set?

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I've had the exact same result...here's what I did to fix it:

Make sure your leather is *dry*, as any contact with the setting/doming tool will leave marks. I tap the washer piece down until it's just snug, then continue with light taps while rotating the tool; this seats it evenly all the way around. I use small bolt cutters to chop off the remaining rivet to about 1/8" sticking up, then a small ball peen hammer to mushroom it over. This part can be tedious as you don't want to hit the leather...only the rivet. Once set, I switch to the dome end of the tool, rotating and wiggling it around while tapping it to even out the hammer marks.

I hope that helps!

I started to tell you how I do it, . . . but he's already laid out "our" way of doing it.

May God bless,

Dwight