JamesR

Rosin for hand stitching

I want to get rosin to mix with my beeswax for stitching. Is it the same stuff baseball players use and where do you folks get the stuff.

Thanks

Why do you want to do that?

Ray

Why do you want to do that?

Ray

Ray,

It was suggested on a previous thread about using linen. I believe jimsaddler said he mixed the two and waxed the linen with the mixture.

Jim

Hi...I've never heard of doing that...there must be some advantage I'm not aware of... but I'd think you could get it at a decent sporting goods store?

Kevin Hopkins

I've read somewhere that rosin is used for violin bows as a lubricant... you might try a fine music shop and ask around...However, I do remember that it said there are more than one grade and more than one formula, so do some reading first.

The boot and shoe guys mix it up various formulas and ratios of waxes and rosin. I have heard it referred to as coad. It helps to lock and seal stitches. It almost approaches doctrine with formulas and types of wax and rosin to use, and then how it is worked. www.thehcc.org has info in the archives. Rosin is available with many rodeo equipment suppliers in black and white rosin, depending on remaining pitch or terpenes or some other chemical I never really undertstood. Roughstock riders use it to tack up gear and gloves. It is almost doctrine with them too about whether black or whote rosin is better. **Big hint** Don't let your girlfriend try to clean out your gearbag. Rosin socks play hell on a load of wash and the machine too.

The boot and shoe guys mix it up various formulas and ratios of waxes and rosin. I have heard it referred to as coad. It helps to lock and seal stitches. It almost approaches doctrine with formulas and types of wax and rosin to use, and then how it is worked. www.thehcc.org has info in the archives. Rosin is available with many rodeo equipment suppliers in black and white rosin, depending on remaining pitch or terpenes or some other chemical I never really undertstood. Roughstock riders use it to tack up gear and gloves. It is almost doctrine with them too about whether black or whote rosin is better. **Big hint** Don't let your girlfriend try to clean out your gearbag. Rosin socks play hell on a load of wash and the machine too.

Hi to all

Resin / Rosin / Pine tar all are resin and can be used in mixing with the Beeswax. Rodeo Riders certainly have it as do Baseball Players. The reason for using it is to create grip as Beeswax is slippery. So the Resin acts as a hold to stop the Thread sliding back. Also it further preserves the Thread (I've read that the Egyptians used Resins to preserve Mummies). I guess that it also is a hard Habit to break as it has only been used for a few thousand years in making Threads. So go for it, it definitely makes for better Stitching as I've found no way to improve on it. Silicone was tried and failed after a few years. So if it ain't Broke, why fix it. Colour doesn't matter too much by the way, but I like a pale resin for White threads. Actually the Older generation used White Lead in their Wax for White threads (I used it in the early 60's also) but it was condemned for Health reasons. Sure looked good though. I wonder if that is why the Brown Saddlers lived longer than the Strappers?

Please have a Happy Day.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

bruce,

Thanks for that hcc web address, they have a lot of interesting info there.

Jim

I was given the following recipe:

You melt about one to two cups of beeswax with 2oz pure lanolin (Walgreens - for breastfeeding mothers) plus one teaspoon of the fine powdered resin (I bought mine at a sport store).

This mixture MUST be poured into a bowl of ice cold water, as it is extremely sticky when warm. Under water you can pull it together into a ball and when it is cold enough, take it out of the water.

Its original purpose was to wax your sewing thread so that stitches get pulled snug and do not loosen up as you sew the next stitch.

I have also started using it in my braiding. I use artificial sinew for my cores and I pull that through the resin/lanolin/wax - my braiding stays pulled tight and the sinew strings stay neatly together. When I braid six strands or more, I pull the underside of the laces over the wax - it helps them to stay in place where I braid them and the do not slide all over the show.

Hope this helps!

Interesting stuff, Jim. I hadn't heard of this before but it kinda makes sense. How do you combine the two substances? Melt and stir? Heat and squish?

What is the best combination percentage wise?

Ray

Hi to all

Resin / Rosin / Pine tar all are resin and can be used in mixing with the Beeswax. Rodeo Riders certainly have it as do Baseball Players. The reason for using it is to create grip as Beeswax is slippery. So the Resin acts as a hold to stop the Thread sliding back. Also it further preserves the Thread (I've read that the Egyptians used Resins to preserve Mummies). I guess that it also is a hard Habit to break as it has only been used for a few thousand years in making Threads. So go for it, it definitely makes for better Stitching as I've found no way to improve on it. Silicone was tried and failed after a few years. So if it ain't Broke, why fix it. Colour doesn't matter too much by the way, but I like a pale resin for White threads. Actually the Older generation used White Lead in their Wax for White threads (I used it in the early 60's also) but it was condemned for Health reasons. Sure looked good though. I wonder if that is why the Brown Saddlers lived longer than the Strappers?

Please have a Happy Day.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Interesting stuff, Jim. I hadn't heard of this before but it kinda makes sense. How do you combine the two substances? Melt and stir? Heat and squish?

What is the best combination percentage wise?

Ray

I tend to think that the Lanolin should be avoided and a touch of olive olive oil used. Lanolin was used by Bootmakers for a while and disgarded it as it is too gummy. Melt the Resin (powdered) into melted Beeswax. Pour it into a bucket of water when combined. I've allways used room temperature. Then pull it out carefully and keep pulling it till its stretchy. hen break off knobs about the size of a Bantams Egg and roll the into a ball. Hey presto you have thread Wax. No oil in Summer, a bit of oil in winter in cold area's (don't need it here in Queensland though). When you use it rub it fast to heat the Thread and melt the Wax in.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Edited by bruce johnson

I use a mix of about 60% wax and 40% rosin ( I collect my own osin or use http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=373 ) and like Jim a bit of olive oil if needed to make it a bit less stiff. Melt in a double boiler or an old crock pot (CAUTION: both wax and rosin fumes are flammable so take care) - when melted I don't do the water and taffy pull anymore - I get those self-supporting muffin "tins" and pour it into them - let cool, tear away the tin and voila you;ve got the best handsewing wax around

FWIW - pitch not only makes it stickier but also adds, anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties, which are good things - plus it smells good!........

Edited by ChuckBurrows

I use a mix of about 60% wax and 40% rosin ( I collect my own osin or use http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=373 ) and like Jim a bit of olive oil if needed to make it a bit less stiff. Melt in a double boiler or an old crock pot (CAUTION: both wax and rosin fumes are flammable so take care) - when melted I don't do the water and taffy pull anymore - I get those self-supporting muffin "tins" and pour it into them - let cool, tear away the tin and voila you;ve got the best handsewing wax around

FWIW - pitch not only makes it stickier but also adds, anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties, which are good things - plus it smells good!........

Chuck,

Thanks for the wesite (townsend) I am ordering it today.

JamesR

Here is a nice little tutorial (with pictures) about making coad/hand wax... http://wherearetheelves.blogspot.com/2007/...aking-code.html

I got my rosin from:

http://www.usrodeosupply.com/ - $10 for a pound. What was nice about them is you can get a 1lb bag that is mixed with both dark and light colored rosin so you can better tune the color of your wax.

I heat my rosin and beeswax on my bbq grill in a small coffee can.

Edited by jeeperaz

I to use a beeswax/resin mix like chucks 60/40. It realy helps hold the stitching tight plus it does smell good.

I to use a beeswax/resin mix like chucks 60/40. It realy helps hold the stitching tight plus it does smell good.

hello, like most things in my life, im a little late on this post. if rosin is what you want to know about im your man. I dont know anything about beeswax/rosin mix . I do know black rosin is stickier than yellow or clear. They put rosin on a violin bow to make friction so it will get better contact and more drag. bull riders heat it up on their ropes and gloves where it wll get sticky and saddle bronc riders heat it up on their saddle swells and inside of theirs thighs. Bareback riders dont heat it up they leave it in powder form and use it as lubrication to get their hand in the rigging, if they heat it up they probably couldnt get their hand in. the main reason baseball players, bowlers, and roughstock riders use rosin is the take away moisture. I personally use rosin ocassionally on machines in my shop to get better friction. if you're still needing to buy rosin contact me and i'll be happy to help you.

thanks again!

Another alternative to resin/rosin/pitch is asphaltum. You can get it @ the home stores as roofing tar in a caulk tube. mix equal parts pure beeswax and roofing caulk and melt together being careful of the flamability of both ingredients. Pour the warm liquid into a bucket of cold water and hand work into a ball. Set it aside to harden overnight. 1/4 pound of beeswax will yield a ball the size of a baseball and will last for a very long time. It will discolor the thread when used turning the linen a brownish/blackish color though. It works to both lubricate the thread for stitching, sealing the stitching hole as well as glueing the threads together in the hole. Another term for this mixture is known as Kit wax.

Dave

Another alternative to resin/rosin/pitch is asphaltum. You can get it @ the home stores as roofing tar in a caulk tube. mix equal parts pure beeswax and roofing caulk and melt together being careful of the flamability of both ingredients. Pour the warm liquid into a bucket of cold water and hand work into a ball. Set it aside to harden overnight. 1/4 pound of beeswax will yield a ball the size of a baseball and will last for a very long time. It will discolor the thread when used turning the linen a brownish/blackish color though. It works to both lubricate the thread for stitching, sealing the stitching hole as well as glueing the threads together in the hole. Another term for this mixture is known as Kit wax.

Dave

Hi Dave

Can I explain the difference as I understand it. Light Resin is from Trees, Pine as recall. For Saddle and Bridle Stitching (Brown Saddling) the light is used for the lighter Colour and to avoid staining the Work. Patent Hemp or fine Shoe thread are waxed with Light Wax in a knob about the size of a Bantams Egg.

Dark Resin is Pitch or Asphhalt which is a petroleum derivitive. Ideal for Black Wax for Black Harness or Repair work where there is no problem with stains, the mix is usually quite sticky. This is usually made in smaller knobs as the Common Hemp used with it sheds more and the wax becomes a ball of thread quicker.

I seldom use the Black now, guess I don't want to have to wash my hands with Kerosene then Lemon Juice & Salt, like Grandpa taught me.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Jeeperaz link for the resin supplyer has it on sale for $5 1lb. Thats half price if anyone is thinking of picking some up.

Got my rosin in today. Nice amber color, cant wait to start mixing and matching with some bees wax. Been wanting to try it for a while now.

I think the rodeo place still has the sale going on. Got my 2 lbs worth for $14 shipped.

I got this recepie from a master shoemaker, you might give it a try . The result a sticky wax that I use on all kinds of thread, linen, nylon and polyester. I melted and mixed all and then poured it into a thin plastic cup placed in cold water. When it had cooled off and settled I ripped the cup off. If it is too sticky for your taste, add some more bees wax. If you wax nylon and poly threads with pure bees wax it will come off the first stitch, but this mix will stick. Be careful when melting the mix, it is HOT !

2 parts ( by weight) rosin

1 part ( -"- ) bees wax

1 part ( -"- ) sheep tallow

Neats foot oil can be a substitute for sheep tallow, but I haven´t tried that so I don´t know the proportions

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

Well I must say I have been missing out. I got around to trying out some of the stuff I got. Mixed about 60bees wax and 40rosin, with about a teaspoon of olive oil.

I only have some hemp thread unwaxed that I used it on. Wow what a difference. It is so nice being able to control how much wax is on the thread.

Made for easy threading and the thread layed down very well.

I know this isnt much news to those that do this all the time but for us beginners I must say give it a try, youll be very happy you did.

Newbie here wave.gif

Read both pages of this thread........interesting stuff !

Say, I have two large pine trees on my place and notice globs of sap attached to the bark. Also, the pine cones are very sticky with sap.

#1..Would these globs of raw rosinous sap melted with beeswax make a good Coad ?

#2..What about boiling the pine cones to render out the rosin ? (Assume straining through cheeze cloth would be

adviseable before the cold water treatment.).

I know this is not as easy as buying the stuff but, if some extra effort will produce a good product, it would be gratifying IMO.

If anyone has tried this, I would appreciate knowing the results Pro/Con.

Thanks,

Todd

Edited by ToddB68

Over here (UK), this is known as cobblers heel ball, and is available from shoe repair suppliers, a mix of rosin, beeswax and natural turpintine, I however can't use it because I am allergic to rosin, and If I use it my hands swell up, and I get a really bad itchy rash, I just use bee's wax, not as good, but it works!

cheers Mike

Over here (UK), this is known as cobblers heel ball, and is available from shoe repair suppliers, a mix of rosin, beeswax and natural turpintine, I however can't use it because I am allergic to rosin, and If I use it my hands swell up, and I get a really bad itchy rash, I just use bee's wax, not as good, but it works!

cheers Mike

Mike........Thanks for the information. Do you know if the "cobblers heel ball" is made using the natural raw rosin right off the tree, or is it processed rosin ?

Todd smile.gif