dBA

Shopping list for first-time holstermaker

Hi everyone,

I found this forum last night, and am really impressed by the quality of work I've seen so far.

I've decided to try my hand at holstermaking, and am looking for some advice. I have no leatherworking experience (or tools), but after reading several of these posts, I've put together a shopping list of what I think I might need. These items are all from the Springfield leather website:

CODE DESCRIPTION PRICE

111-807400 Groover,Stitching,Adjustable $10.00

111-8807411 Groover,Freehand $12.00

111-809100 Overstitcher,Set,Sz 5,6,7 $16.00

7-1 Punch Set,5 Pc $6.99

130-119500 Needle,EZ Thread,10pk $1.99

144-120552 Thread,Wax,PureWht,Heavy,50y $3.00

144-122002 Thread,Wax,Poly,Brown,4oz $10.00

26-201400 Wax,Beeswax,1oz $2.69

34-01 Gum Tragacanth,4oz $4.29

34-210007 Dye,Fieb.Reg,Cordovan,4oz $4.99

95-201702 Cement,Contact,Masters,8oz $8.99

I am going to try working with Herman Oak 8oz leather, and buy only a few square-feet to get started, unless someone has a better idea.

I added two different types of thread - which would be better to use? Also, I know I need some kind of finish so I'm open to suggestions.

Am I missing anything else?

I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Thanks,

Curtis

I would add a awl and blade, snaps and setter if you plan to use snaps, round knife, straight knife, edgers, something to burnish with, dummy guns unless your rich enough to own all of the guns for the styles you plan to make, cutting board, poster board or file folders for patterns and some more things i am sure i forgot.

Don't forget a good adjustable razor knife to cut the leather (I use the break off point/blade type you can pick up at most drug stores/hardware stores). I would also recommend some wool daubers to apply your dye with. You might want to consider a mini and maxi-punch set, in order to allow you to punch various size holes for rivets, snaps, starting belt loops, etc. A good heavy poly or rawhide mallet for use with the punches is a must have as well.

As for the leather.... If you are looking for one-stop shopping, Springfield will cover all your bases, but I would recommend starting out on some cheap Tandy leather, until you get the hang of things and get comfortable enough to spend the money on the expensive leather.... I would hate to think about all the money I would have thrown away if I had started out on expensive leather.....

Remember, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it... :)

Good luck and have fun.

-Tac

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm really only looking to make a simple pancake-style OWB holster for a Glock 19. If it turns out well (after 3 or 4 attempts), maybe I'll try another gun or holster style. For now, I just want to keep things simple.

Dirtclod - you mentioned an awl and blade. What would these be used for?

Edited by dBA

Please don't forget a can of Masters Thinner.

Art

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm really only looking to make a simple pancake-style OWB holster for a Glock 19. If it turns out well (after 3 or 4 attempts), maybe I'll try another gun or holster style. For now, I just want to keep things simple.

Not Dirtclod........but the awl and blade is used to make the holes that you then run the needles through. The leather harness needles have blunt tips and are only used to pull the thread through. I would recommend buying "Art of Hand Sewing Leather" book by Al Stohlman.... without it, i think it would be very difficult to get your holsters stitched to look good. Well worth the money.

Edited by ks1911

I second the suggestion on the book "the Art of Hand Sewing Leather". It is invaluable in demonstrating the correct methods and styles, as well as giving easy to understand instructions. One of the best books I ever bought on the subject of leather craft.

Like you, I'm new to leather work. I just finished my first holster. Not great, but it'll keep me from stuffing a gun in my waistebelt. You can usually find deals at Tandy on leather. Right now, they have Oak Leaf Double Shoulders 8-9oz for $4.99. That's what I used.

Of the tools you listed, I never needed the freehand groover, beeswax (I had some but never needed it).

Of the tools/materials I used, but you didn't list, were a Dremel (an absolute necessity for me-drills,sands), pliars (for pulling needles through), ballpoint and sharpie for marking, brown Kraft paper for patterning (Walmart), foam brush for applying dye, Neetsfoot oil, and one very sharp Old Timer pocket knife.

The tandy oak leaf is ok if you hand pick it out but the herman oak is far better IMHO and you can get it at springfeild leather for 4.89.

Good advice all the way around.

Free hand groover is pretty nice for holsters since your not allways stitching next to the edge.

One thing I think is that the cordovan is a little dark even when deluted. I use it for edges but not much else. Dark brown or regular brown is a good color as well as saddle tan or regular tan.