BDAZ

Laser Printing Leather

I recently had a request for a custom "makers Stamp" for an Item I am working on. I used a technique that I often use for transferring patterns from the computer to either grain or flesh side. In this case I needed to print on the suede lining.

The process is utter simplicity, Print the text or graphic on a standard piece of copy paper, either with a laser printer or copier. Reverse the image so it prints backwards. I trim the print then tape it over the leather on a cutting board. Next, using a swab, I saturate the paper with acetone, then burnish lightly with a bone creaser.

This may not be news to anyone but I haven't seen any references to the process.

I have always used to to trace cutting lines, but this time I tested it for fastness with oil dyes, various finishes and neatsfoot oil and it doesn't run or blur.

This test is printed on a scrap piece of pigskin suede.

YMMV

Cya!

Bob

post-47325-0-48769700-1407089053_thumb.j

Edited by BDAZ

Thanks Bob! I'm going to have to give that a try now.

Bill

Much better than I thought it would. After covering grain side printing with Resolene, it's pretty impervious. It seems permanent on suede as well.

Cya!

Bob