Shamenlong

How Do I Make Corner Bookmarks

Hi guys I'm new to letherwork and wanted to make corner bookmarks I've tried to make several but their not sitting nicely on the pages I'm using 2 mm leather any help appreciated

Regards

Sean

Had to look up what a "corner" bookmark was. I had never seen one before. As to your question, my first thought is to check if the thickness of your leather is even. 2mm / 5oz leather is fairly thick stuff. It probobly has some high or low spots. That might be why it doesn't sit nicely. You might also want to check what you are using to make your corners. If you are pretty far off from a true 90 degree angle, that might push things off alignment.

Newbie question and suggestion here... not that I've ever made these. In what way are they "not sitting nicely". My only thought is that you might need to skive/thin the edges where the edges join... I'm assuming that they're made of 2 pieces of leather that are joined?

hi firstly thankyou for your responses, i must correct myself the overall thickness of the project was about two mm i have added a link to the picture of a prototype as you will see its a little to be desired but it may give you a better understanding of what im trying to acheive

thanks in advance

http://www.4shared.com/photo/uKA1aLiL/photo__1_.html

Not that I have made one of these, but it still looks to be a little too thick to me. The other thing I notice is that it isn't flat over the whole surface and the corners allow for it to be snagged out of the book, which might account for it not sitting right on the corner.

If it were me, I would try to find a way to get the edges to over lap and use glue to secure it.

Have it made from one slightly larger triangle and one slightly smaller one, skive the outer edges of the larger one, roll them over to the back and glue them down to the smaller one, and use some sort of press or roller to flatten it all out. Doing it this way eliminates the seam, which adds bulk to the outer edge and can dislodge the bookmark. Using a thin, plastic cutting board will allow you to flatten it out and it won't stick. It shouldn't be experiencing any real stresses that would overcome a glued joint. Getting the seam very close to the edge of the leather means those are very weak spots where the leather might fail and it can fall apart.

Once again, this is me and not the only way to do this.

If you'd like, I might be able to do up the pattern I have in mind for you. It might make what I was talking about a little clearer, too.

Here is what I had in mind. The image I attached should make it a bit clearer than my wordy explanation. Hopefully the image I quickly hacked together will do the job I need it to.

If you cut out one just like the image and one of just the triangle, you'll have all the parts you need. The greyed tabs are what you would skive paper thin and fold over to be glued down to the triangle that will make the back side of the bookmark. If you get something thin and that the glue will not stick to, like a piece of wax paper or a very thin cutting board, you can place that between your layers of leather.

To aid in the folded flaps staying the shape you want them to be, you can use a small hand roller to flatten a crease into it prior to placing everything in position. It will also help to use the same roller to apply pressure when gluing it up. That pressure helps with making a good glue joint. As for the type of glue, you can use the Tandy Leather Weld, but I personally find that TiteBond III works the best for applications such as this. It becomes highly water resistant when dry, which most of the other HPVA type glues do not.

Since it isn't a bag or holding any weight, simply using glue instead of sewing it should be sufficient. This should also reduce any extra bulk near the edges aiding in dislodging the bookmark when it's a backpack, purse, or something similar. Defeats the purpose of having the bookmark if it keeps falling out, right?

post-32478-0-51585000-1353097555_thumb.g

Leather weld is garbage. You need a good rubber cement if sewing or contact cement if not. Leather weld might as well be library paste for all it does.

I should also mention that if you are having issues skiving thin leather thinner, that a sanding drum bit and a dremel will do a really nice job without hacking holes right through it.

This looked interesting so I tried making one myself.

post-34837-0-64658900-1354660097_thumb.j

This looked interesting so I tried making one myself.

post-34837-0-64658900-1354660097_thumb.j

What's fun is that middle section doesn't have to be a straight line. Yours looks to be curved, but you could do just about any shape you'd like. A fleur de lis or some flames might be interesting, too.

Just some ideas to play with...

Actually, since I lined it I was thinking of doing an inlay or something of the sort. Like black leather with red heart or lips. I'm sure there is tons of fun stuff that can be done with this. If I had an embossing wheel I think it'd look very fancy having the edges done.

I really like this idea it's gone on my list of things to have a go at thanks for the idea :)