Leathernovice

Designer Belts, Whats The Real Cost?

Hi all I'm new, but I hope this isn't a bad question to ask.

So I was at a designer store, Louis Vuitton and saw this belt for close $600. So I thought to myself what it would actually cost to produce a quality belt like this. I know that labor and the brand name adds on a big percentage, but I was wondering about the cost of raw material that goes into a belt such as this? I've always been fascinated with leather and leather goods and I'm glad I found a website like this.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Thanks

post-15824-12795633569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leathernovice

L.N., welcome to Leatherworker.net. We're glad you found us.

In regards to your question, it's anyone's guess how much the raw materials cost to produce a Louis Vuitton belt. If I were to venture a guess, I'd bet it was $25 (or maybe less). As you mentioned, the real markup is the brand name and the high-quality labor that goes into each belt.

I must admit that when I saw the price tag, I figured this would be a fancy carved or filigreed belt such as we have seen from some of the talented craftsmen on here. I guess the fact that I didn't recognize the name of the designer says that I'm not up on the world of fashion, but to see a plain stitched belt for that price - lets just say I was a little surprised...

So I was at a designer store, Louis Vuitton and saw this belt for close $600. So I thought to myself what it would actually cost to produce a quality belt like this. I know that labor and the brand name adds on a big percentage, but I was wondering about the cost of raw material that goes into a belt such as this? I've always been fascinated with leather and leather goods and I'm glad I found a website like this.

Thanks

If I buy a couple sides of Hermann O out of Calgary, the average per belt price for me is roughly $5.00 each w/o freight. If old Louie's boys (over in China) are buying by the truckload, (even if it's a better leather) I'll bet their leather cost is less than $2.00. The buckles probably not even that. The labor?, when they crank out belts by the caseload, probably not much.

Just because his name's on it don't mean it cost more to produce.

Several years ago i had a guy come my shop and ask to have his name brand designer billfold repaired. I told him i couldn't fix because the oustside was made out of plastic. He had a fit called me a lair. Said he had paid several hundred dollars for it and it had to be leather. The inside was leather but the outside was plastic. As P T Barnum would say theirs a fool or was it a sucker born ever minute.

People that buy things like buy the name trying to impress their friends. It's like paying extra for a gold American Express card. It does the same thing as a green American Express card but it's gold it and cost more in fee's. Their status symbols for want a be's. Have you ever noticed that people that have lots of money or people that want you to think they have lots of money write name in a scribble ?

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks

Don't know just it made of but boy I sure would like to sell several,Stephen

Even if it's good leather, it's a pot metal buckle. Labor is probably between 5 to 10 minutes, machines combine and stitch,machine Edgecote, no dye, machined holes, the only labor is feeding the leather into machines and attatching the buckle, no keeper, no filler.

Kevin

Hi There

When looking at Louis Vitton and other "names" in industry, there is no logic or justification - look at this Hermes Braclet for $520 - insane and no justification - no special hardware in 18k gold - no tooling or even machine embossing, no exotic rare leather used, no famous hand craftsman's name attached ....Purely paying for the Hermes rentals in large city shopping centres, advetising in glossy magazines, paying supermodels or famous sportpersons, actors etc to endorse etc.. and hey why not if wearing HERMES blows your hair back and you not selling your kids education to pay for it -- go for it and enjoy it.

Coming back to selling custom tooled leatherwork - you have to be happy with what you charge - you have to feel uncheated and you have to feel proud of what you ask for your work. Work on hours taken to complete rate and be fair. If the article is unique or a one off custom made - add a little on for the disruption to a production type run.

However having said that, there are many amongst us with MASSIVE talent, but are also in a position of need to feed and clothe a family and in order to make ends meet, charge less than they may like to get the sales.

The selling price of anything, is finally determined by what the person you selling to is prepared to pay - if the people you are reaching won't pay what you ask, you have two choices - find the right people (use internet or get to wealther areas etc..) or drop your prices (to do this you may have to use less tooling, less stiching or simpler designs) - it can be disheartening, but that's "business".

I most times end up giving my stuff to folk that appreciate it but can't afford it - but then I also have a day job so I'm lucky - and it's a great feeling to see the reaction of people that really know the work and time and skills that go into our projects, when they get it.

My secret fantasy however is to one day sell something to a rich and famous person for a ridiculous amount of money because they are desperate to have "the only one in the world" wink.gif

Cheers Dave

post-13995-127964203804_thumb.jpg

Hi There

When looking at Louis Vitton and other "names" in industry, there is no logic or justification - look at this Hermes Braclet for $520 - insane and no justification - no special hardware in 18k gold - no tooling or even machine embossing, no exotic rare leather used, no famous hand craftsman's name attached ....Purely paying for the Hermes rentals in large city shopping centres, advetising in glossy magazines, paying supermodels or famous sportpersons, actors etc to endorse etc.. and hey why not if wearing HERMES blows your hair back and you not selling your kids education to pay for it -- go for it and enjoy it.

Coming back to selling custom tooled leatherwork - you have to be happy with what you charge - you have to feel uncheated and you have to feel proud of what you ask for your work. Work on hours taken to complete rate and be fair. If the article is unique or a one off custom made - add a little on for the disruption to a production type run.

However having said that, there are many amongst us with MASSIVE talent, but are also in a position of need to feed and clothe a family and in order to make ends meet, charge less than they may like to get the sales.

The selling price of anything, is finally determined by what the person you selling to is prepared to pay - if the people you are reaching won't pay what you ask, you have two choices - find the right people (use internet or get to wealther areas etc..) or drop your prices (to do this you may have to use less tooling, less stiching or simpler designs) - it can be disheartening, but that's "business".

I most times end up giving my stuff to folk that appreciate it but can't afford it - but then I also have a day job so I'm lucky - and it's a great feeling to see the reaction of people that really know the work and time and skills that go into our projects, when they get it.

My secret fantasy however is to one day sell something to a rich and famous person for a ridiculous amount of money because they are desperate to have "the only one in the world" wink.gif

Cheers Dave

Thanks Dave, very insightful, Hermes is one of the highest priced brands out there, their $3k gator belts are just ridiculous. Some of their buckles are said to contain Palladium/platinum and those cost around $500 in addition to the belt. Name brand really isn't a big deal to me. I'm in the hunt for quality leather merchandise, I went to the LV store just to see just what kind of quality $600 could buy.

On a side note does anyone know fellow leatherworker.net members who makes leather belts for formal purposes? I would be interested in checking some out!