Sign in to follow this  
Sparks

Portmanteau

Just finished this project. Lots of challenges and I had to learn several new skills. Luke Hatley helped a LOT via the phone and internet. Thanks Luke.

Pictures to follow after I shrink them...

post-4989-053288100 1287875336_thumb.jpg

post-4989-022397700 1287875368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sparks

Sparks .... you did very well on your "1st" large undertaking.

Pack that Portmantu head down to West Tennessee and we'll jawbone for a spell, boil some

coffee...............

and might burn some blaclpowder............. :cheers:

Just finished this project. Lots of challenges and I had to learn several new skills. Luke Hatley helped a LOT via the phone and internet. Thanks Luke.

Pictures to follow after I shrink them...

Hey Sparks, this looks good for a first project would look good strapped to a harley nice job dude.

Regards, Steve.

Sparks while we are doing the 18th century have you came across a "Fire Bucket" pattern?

I have a List to put in one and i thought a Leather Bucket would be great.. :rofl::rofl:

Edited by Luke Hatley

Thanks Big Steve!

You may have already noticed that motor cyclists have adopted the style and manner of use of this item. Portmanteaus came in different sizes. Bikers currently use them to carry tools immediately behind the drivers seat.

Soparks

Hey Sparks, this looks good for a first project would look good strapped to a harley nice job dude.

Regards, Steve.

Thanks Big Steve!

You may have already noticed that motor cyclists have adopted the style and manner of use of this item. Portmanteaus came in different sizes. Bikers currently use them to carry tools immediately behind the drivers seat.

Soparks

Hello !

What are the measurements of your portmanteau ?

/ Knut

Knut, Hello!

The end pieces have a rounded top, but started as an eight inch by eight inch square, not counting the folded over sewing space.

The length of the case itself is 24 inches. The cover flap is 26 inches wide so it can overlap either side one inch.

Additional images for details can be found in my gallery

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=4989&do=view_album&album=591

Feed free to ask any other questions. I just noticed this message today, which is why it's been so long since you asked the question.

Sparks

Hello !

What are the measurements of your portmanteau ?

/ Knut

Knut, Hello!

The end pieces have a rounded top, but started as an eight inch by eight inch square, not counting the folded over sewing space.

The length of the case itself is 24 inches. The cover flap is 26 inches wide so it can overlap either side one inch.

Additional images for details can be found in my gallery

http://leatherworker...album&album=591

Feed free to ask any other questions. I just noticed this message today, which is why it's been so long since you asked the question.

Sparks

A very fine portmanteau , nice pics! What is the weight of the leather ?

/ Knut

A very fine portmanteau , nice pics! What is the weight of the leather ?

/ Knut

Knut,

I used a side of 10-12 saddle skirting. I have some left over, but not enough to make a second one. I followed the directions and made the straps out of lighter leather--6 to 8 weight. If I did it again I'd use the thick stuff for the straps.

I learned to skive putting this together. I also wet formed the end pieces over wood so I would have a face to sew directly to, rather than sewing diagonally through pieces cut at a 45 degree angle.

Sparks

A little tidbit of info on the name Portmanteau, as you probably already know it's a french word.....really a combonation of two french words.

Porte wich means "to carry" and manteau wich means "coat".......so litteral translation is "coat carrier" cheers.gif

Fascinating!

Sparks

A little tidbit of info on the name Portmanteau, as you probably already know it's a french word.....really a combonation of two french words.

Porte wich means "to carry" and manteau wich means "coat".......so litteral translation is "coat carrier" cheers.gif

Fascinating!

Sparks

lot of work for a "coat carrier" :rofl::rofl: was it not...