Lobo

Holster For An Artifact

My friend John mentioned to me some time back that he had his father's old revolver, wanted a holster for it, but had never been able to find anything. Now, John is in his late 70's, so his father's old revolver was likely to be a real old timer, so I asked to see it. In due course, John brought it to me.

Smith & Wesson hammerless "lemon squeezer" (Model 1-1/2 Safety Hammerless, 3rd Model) double action revolver, caliber .32 S&W. Probably made between about 1890 and 1920. State of the art gentleman's vest pocket revolver, back in the day! And much to my surprise, the revolver shows almost no wear at all! Blued finish is without significant blemish, case-hardened trigger in near-perfect condition, bore and chambers could be unfired condition. Very few of this type remain in such fine condition.

It is always a treat to see some of the old time pieces. I explained to John that, given the condition of the piece, it is certainly a desirable collectable, that I would advise putting it away for safekeeping, and that carrying it in a holster could possibly result in finish wear.

John still wanted a holster for his dad's revolver. So I made a simple belt holster for him.

Hermann Oak 6-7 oz. veg-tanned.

Welted seam construction.

Folded belt loop.

Removable retention strap with snap.

A fun job! And I got to keep a nice old S&W around for a week or so.

post-7487-040316400 1293654283_thumb.jpg

post-7487-084230800 1293654293_thumb.jpg

post-7487-091475500 1293654319_thumb.jpg

post-7487-067405000 1293654356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lobo

Interesting just about every one I have seen was nickel plated, could be a regional thing. As long as he doesn't take it in and out of the holster too much it will probably be OK. Value isn't going to be really high due to the fact that there are a lot of them still kicking around. It isn't like it is an early mint Colt SAA, but still worth keeping as nice as possible. I'd shoot it, since I shoot everything I own, no matter how pristine it is. No fun just looking at it. :gun:

Nice job on the holster.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

Real nice job on that holster. It fits the "era" of the S&W very well. I especialy like how you posted 3 pics of the gun and only one of the holster HA HA!

My friend John mentioned to me some time back that he had his father's old revolver, wanted a holster for it, but had never been able to find anything. Now, John is in his late 70's, so his father's old revolver was likely to be a real old timer, so I asked to see it. In due course, John brought it to me.

Smith & Wesson hammerless "lemon squeezer" (Model 1-1/2 Safety Hammerless, 3rd Model) double action revolver, caliber .32 S&W. Probably made between about 1890 and 1920. State of the art gentleman's vest pocket revolver, back in the day! And much to my surprise, the revolver shows almost no wear at all! Blued finish is without significant blemish, case-hardened trigger in near-perfect condition, bore and chambers could be unfired condition. Very few of this type remain in such fine condition.

It is always a treat to see some of the old time pieces. I explained to John that, given the condition of the piece, it is certainly a desirable collectable, that I would advise putting it away for safekeeping, and that carrying it in a holster could possibly result in finish wear.

John still wanted a holster for his dad's revolver. So I made a simple belt holster for him.

Hermann Oak 6-7 oz. veg-tanned.

Welted seam construction.

Folded belt loop.

Removable retention strap with snap.

A fun job! And I got to keep a nice old S&W around for a week or so.

Lobo, that's a great old piece of machinery! You did right by it with your holster design, great work. Mike

Thanks, guys. This one is really all about the gun, not the holster.

I make hundreds of holsters every year, and each one bears my fingerprints and trademark. Occasionally I get to make one that connects me with the customer, the family history, or some other significant aspect, and I genuinely enjoy these connections.

Best regards.

Nice work. I really appreciate the minimalist approach to the holster.